Recently diagnosed

I’ve just been diagnosed with BC in March (found a lump in Jan but been putting off the GPs until then). Had a CT Scan & biopsied 1 x then they’ve found another one in same Breast after an MRI & I’ve got my masectomy on Thursday 21st May. I’m married with 3 children, eldest is 15, 12 & youngest is 10.
I’ve only cried once when I got my MRI results via phone to BCN @work & that’s it. Is it ‘normal’ to feel nothing? I’m more concerned about others around me than myself & the way I see it, it’s gone past the ‘shocked’ phase. I know everyone is different but all I want is just to get on with it now. R x

Hi Rainy3210

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications which I hope you find helpful.  Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need someone to talk to, in confidence, away from family and friends.  0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Your in the right place to express your fears and concerns…the ladies on this forum are either recently diagnosed/going through treatment, so we are all in the same horrible boat…hang in there xxx

Hi, I think everyone reacts differently to the diagnosis. I felt quite surprised that I didn’t cry for ages, but then something daft triggered it and I did have a good cry. I think most of us though get through it by just getting on with it ! It feels a bit surreal and you just plough on through the various stages of treatment, when you’ve recovered from your surgery it begins to sink in a bit more and you have more time to stop and think! Good luck with your operation, are you having reconstruction?

Thanks ladies. Had a fab night out last night with friends & as expected tears all around (even those who are strong as nails) & yes still none from mine tho! Lol.
Kiki2: after a chat with the BCN I decided to wait til after the treatments to finish then consider reconstruction. I am a slow healer too. Good luck to you all & thanks for your support xx

Good luck with your surgery rainy3210. Just about to start rads and going through treatment. Agree that it does get better after surgery as your on the road to recovery then. Hope all goes well for you tomorrrow xxx

Hi Jennifed,
What you are going through now is the worst bit. I had to take 2 weeks off work when first dx. My whole world collapsed and i just went into shock, fear and severe anxiety. Saw my GP who prescribed Citlorpram, that really helped take the edge off things. Had my surgery March and now rads and tamoxifen. When u first get dx you think thats it my life is over. But its not as you will see from the forum. I was given the all clear last Friday. There is life after BC and you will develop a sense of inner calm and confidence that noone will be able to affect after this. We’re all in this together to support each other. Sending you a big hug xxxx