Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnostic. Grade II Ductal Invasive Breast Cancer. Age 38

16 REPLIES 16
hijaqs

Re: Recently diagnostic. Grade II Ductal Invasive Breast Cancer. Age 38

Hi ladies,

Glad you're finding each day just that bit easier, Isa.  For me it's now a pleasure to wake up (and I haven't felt like that for a long time).  I remember the pains you mention.  I had my lymph nodes biopsied when I had the lumpectomy and having since been through a mastectomy and diep (tummy slit from hip to hip) it was the pain from the biopsy that was still the most memorable- it seemed to affect all the left side of my upper body. Just make sure you do the exercises you are told to do as they really do make a difference.  Lucky you, keeping your nipple.  Mine had to go, sadly.   I know what you mean about the Drs struggling to give good news.  In my case in each of the various consultations I have been given the good news followed by the 'possible' bad news.  Whilst this played on my mind during the waiting periods, I can't accuse them of giving me false hopes at any point, so when I did get the various diagnostics, I was semi-prepared for it - which I think worked well for me.  I must say that throughout my journey I feel that I have had the best care possible - from Wolverhampton New Cross and Birmingham Queen Elizabeth in case there are any local gals reading this:).  Hope all goes well with your appointment next week, Isa. Jackie xx

IAC

Hi Hijaqs, I am glad to hear that your surgery went well. I am also feeling better each day. The tightness also bothers me and I am also having some slight mobility ness issues with my arm but also getting better by the day. Next week I have a revision appointment with my plastic surgeon. My doctors decided during the surgery that it was possible to keep my nipple but the plastic surgeon is still observing for possible necrosis. I also have an appointment with my gp and hope to finally get a treatment plan. This constant waiting is really annoying. Also a constantly have the feeling that when cancer is involved doctors never tive good news properly as if they are afraid of giving good hopes. Do any of you also feel that? Do you already have your treatment plan? Isa
hijaqs

Hi rosie112,

I do feel for you having to go through this.  It seems like you are in safe hands and with a plan on a week to week basis it's hopefully easier to manage the waiting periods. Will keep my fingers tightly crossed for you for next week, Suzanne.   Jackie Xx

rosie112

Hi Hijaqs, went for my bone scan yesterday. Had nuclear stuff injected and had to wait for two and a half hours then went back for my scan.  Back to see Mr Martin for results of scan and other sneaky lump they found next Wednesday and then week after oncologist. Where are you up to now? Big hugs Suzanne  xxxxx

hijaqs

Hi rosie112,

Hope your consultations are going well. Will you be starting your chemo soon?  Jackie xx

hijaqs

Hi IAC,

So lovely to hear that all went well.  It's amazing that you're back on the forum within 2 days of your op (surely I have miscalculated that?).  I thought I was doing well to be back on here after 8 days!  I am so relieved that, like you, the worst is now over - as the lymph nodes were clear.  I had diep reconstruction using tummy fat and I am pleased with the outcome for boob and flat tum.  Paracetomol is enough as pain relief and apart from a little tightness it's no problem except that I do find myself hunching if I forget to take the painkillers.  Tiredness is the worst part.  I'm pretty useless at the moment and am sleeping a lot.  I guess this is only to be expected and am just going with it for now.  Hope your recovery continues to go well.  Take care. Jackie xx

IAC

Hi Hijaqs, I tried to post yesterday for you but the connection at the hospital was really bad. The surgery went well. I haven't seen the results yet as I came you rolled in bandages that will only come out next Monday with the drains. My reconstruction used a protesis and skin and muscle from my back. The first day is rather painful, specially the first time you try to stand up. My doctors said that because I am thin they had to sew directly in the muscle and that was was caused part of the initial pain. Now I have just arrived home and I am already feeling much better from yesterday. So it seems that pain gradually reduces. My nodes were clear so that we're the best news of the surgery. Hope your surgery also went we'll and that this post may help someone who still still in the wait. By the way sorry for any English mistake but English is not my native language.
rosie112

Hi, I was diagnosed with the same 17th dec and had my mastectomy and lymph nodes all out on the 24th January. I chose MX because I wanted to make sure I was hopefully clear.  I am 52 (birthday was last Sunday 26th Jan spent waiting to come home) and I have two boys age 17 and 19. I had an expander put in as they said there wasnt enough skin for a straight implant(36d). I am very sensitive under my kind of numb feeling arm and feel like electric shocks shooting down it if I overeach and cannot go further than 90 degrees from my elboe.  The expander feels tight and I can feel the edges of it which is a bit uncomfortable.  I go back to Mr Martin at Aintree (wonderfull man) on Wed to get results and hope to get this drip out thats draining my lymph nodes area. I think I see the oncologist the week after and the week after that start my chemo. The nurse said it's usually 4 weeks after opp you start treatment. Hope this helps and keep strong and positive.  Big Hugs Suzanne   xxxxxxxxxxx

loulou1262

Hi IAC

Good luck for tomorrow,  thinking of you xxxxx

hijaqs

Hi IAC,

Sending you positive vibes for tomorrow.  Hope everything goes well. Xx

IAC

I will be sending my positive thoughts for you next week. Take Care. Isa
loulou1262

Hi IAC

I too was diagnosed on the 8th of January with grade 2 invasive ductal. My breast cancer nurse advised me that until I get my pathology report I wont know my exact diagnosis.  This is a worry and as I had a lumpectomy with snlb last Thursday I still have a until next weds for results, awful... I just keep trying to remain positive and think I will feel better when I know the exact details. On reading some of the older posts from people further on I think everyone feels like this. Tbh because I don't want the kids to see me upset I think this has helped me somewhat in coping. Who knows what is the best way, my lump is estimated as 2.2cm and my surgeon advised on the lumpectomy,  I sometimes wonder if I should have had a mx with immediate reconstruction so think we all must doubt our decisions,  lets face it we aren't trained for this !!

Hope all goes well next week, take care, Louise xxxx

hijaqs

Hi IAC,

I had a lumpectomy start of Dec. As margins were unclear am now going in for mastectomy on Wed. Am having diep reconstrction, using tummy fat. From what I can glean from this site, recovery time is very varied. It seems that most ladies are not going back to work until around 8 weeks or more after the op, and even then on a gradual/reduced basis. I suppose a lot depends on the job you do. For a mastectomy withou immediate reconstruction i suppose recovery time is shorter.  Hope this is of help for now - and hope someone more knowledgeable can clarify further. Xx

IAC

Thank you for your words. It certainly helps to hear from someone who is a few steps ahead on this path. My doctor had offered me the option of a lumpectomy but recommended the mastectomy as the best option.  To be quite honest the surgery itself does not scares me but the subsequent treatment with chemotherapy and hormones freaks me out.

I have another question, how long is the recovery time? My doctor did not give me any clue as to when I will be able to get back to work and other day to day activities.

mandyj

I was diagnosed with grade 2 idc aged 36. I didn't need a mastectomy so cannot advise you about reconstruction but my biopsy was the same as my final result after surgery. The only thing different was that the lump was a bit larger than the scans had measured, but not much. I do think they are pretty accurate. My little boy was 3 at the time and he can only remember bits of what went on. I have an amazing husband who did so much to help me during good days and bad. Just except help and you will get through it fine. I am now 38 and life goes on as it did before....but you are different for what you have faced and overcome.x 

Sam_BCC

Hi IAC

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I hope you will find it to be a great source of information and support.

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with information and treatment plans, etc.

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They're on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

IAC

Recently diagnostic. Grade II Ductal Invasive Breast Cancer. Age 38

I had my diagnostic confirmed 10 days ago and I will have a mastectomy next Tuesday. I am 38 and have two very young kids (ages 2 years and 10 months). The waiting is really a killer specially because it appears that even with the biopsy you never have the full picture until they actually open you up. I also have so many doubts. Was the option to have immediate reconstruction a mistake? How will the hormone therapy affect me (since my biopsy was positive from estrogen and progesteron receptors)?How accurate are the results of the biopsy, in other words, is it possible for the cancer to be more advanced than what the biopsy is showing)? How is this whole thing will affect my day to day life with my kinds?  Any thoughts....