cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently dx with BC and lung mets

10 REPLIES 10
vivrog

Re: Recently dx with BC and lung mets

I am on EC x 4 then Tax x 4. I was told that it was too risky to biopsy the lung. I will certainly speak to my onc next week and push him for more details.

Thank you so much ladies for your replies. It really makes me feel I am not alone in this.

viv x

Anna_BCC

Morning

I hope you don't mind my popping in here, but I wanted to let you know that Live Chat for woment with Secondary Breast Cancer is due to start at 11.30.

Please follow this link

http://breastcancercare.chatjet.com/bcc/

which will take you directly to the live chat page.

Best wishes

Poppy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Viv

Your ER status and HER2 status will affect what treatments can be offered to you. As you are ER+ you will be offered hormone treatments, these can be very effective in the treatment of Mets in some cases for several years at a time, the side effects are generally much less than those of chemo. If it turns out that you are HER+ then you will be offered Herceptin, this is generally given alongside chemo in the first instance and then on its own after that.

What chemo are you having?

If you do have a lung met it isn't lung cancer it is breast cancer in your lungs, thus the treatments for primary lung cancer will be different to those given to people with lung mets. Unfortunately at this stage none of the Oncs can guarantee that a particular chemo will work for any individual, so usually with secondaries they will scan after say 3 doses to see if it is working, you could ask whether this is an option for you. You should ask your Onc about the pros and cons of one regime and a mixed one ie FEC/Docetaxel, and maybe ask them what they would do if it were them (or their wife/daughter) in your shoes.

A good book to get is Susan Love's Breast book, it goes through all the treatments and is well written and aimed at us not the medics!

Still hoping that your lung nodule is not BC related and wishing you all the best with your chemo.

Fiona

Guest user
Not applicable

hi viv, I was diagnosed with BC and lung mets 3 years ago, but still remember he utter shock. As you are ER positive, there are hormonal treatments as well as lots of different chemo regimes that may help with the breast tumour and lung mets. So there is a lot of treatment available and new drugs being developed all the time. I also hope you are getting support and information on things like Disability living allowance.

having said all this, it may be that the spot on your lung is not malignant- let us know how you get on and take care of yourself
Nickyx

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Viv
I was diagnosed with a local recurrence ie a primary as well as bone mets (secondary) in April 08. I had chemo which treated both (6 x FEC) so I would imagine (hope!) that the chemo you are on is has been based around the fact you may have a secondary. Chemo works throughout the body not just the primary lump so it should also be getting to any other areas of suspicion as well. It would be worth discussing your concerns with your onc - just to put your mind at rest. Depending on the results of your biopsy etc your treatment after chemo will be determined by those results. Good luck and I hope you are coping OK with the side effects of chemo.
Nicky x
ps there are several other ladies on here who have had a secondary dx at the same time as a primary so hopefully they will be along to give you advice.

Sam_BCC

Hi Viv

I'm sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. As well as the support you are receiving from the other users you may find it helps to talk things through with a trained member of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you are able to share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 2pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes Sam (BCC Facilitator)

vivrog

Thanks for replying Finty. I think I may take your stance. I have my next chemo next Thursday and I will ask the onc if the drugs are effective for lung cancer. I was so ignorant before all this started that I didn't even know there were different chemo drugs!!!

Viv x

finty

Hi Viv

So sorry to hear your news. I was dx in Nov with BC then when I discovered I had 27 positive nodes they did all the scans and found a small bone met. My OH and I had several long discussions with my onc before agreeing a chemo plan, as wanted to make sure the plan dealt with both the primary and the met. We changed plans several times before agreeing, and she then went into battle with my insurance company to agree an expensive drug (Avastin) to hopefully stall the met. I couldn't have done this without my OH as was in too much shock to process the information, and was too scared to do much of the research.

I think if I were in your position I would want to know if the chemo you are on is effective for lung mets. In my case we decided on 3 x FEC as the best option for the primary BC, and then 3 x Doxetaxol as best option for secondaries, followed by Avastin for the spine plus the usual rads and hormone therapies. Hopefully all bases covered.

Everyone approaches this awful situation differently - my first instinct was just to sit back and let it all happen. My reason for posting is that I am very glad my OH pushed me into taking a more proactive stance, as I think we agreed a much better protocol as a result.

Good luck Viv - we're all here to support you.

finty xx

vivrog

Thank you for replying so quickly Fiona. I have been told I am ER positive but they have not yet got results for HER2. Does this make a difference? I also forgot to say I was 46 and the BC was stage 3.

Viv

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Viv

Sorry that you have had a this worry. I had chemo before my operation and had a CT scan which showed liver mets after just one cycle of Chemo. In my case they waited to see whether the tumour changed after further chemo, it was still inconclusive so I had a liver biopsy which confirmed the worst.

One of the reasons your onc may be playing it down is that various nodules and lesions can show up on scans which turn out not to be cancer, there have been several ladies in the last year that have had the worry but then had the relief of finding out that it is not related to the BC. Unfortunately there are also several of us here who have had the double blow of BC and mets in one hit.

I guess they will scan you again after chemo and if there is no change it may well be that it is unrelated.

Do you know whether you are ER+ HER2 etc? Dependent on this they will build a treatment plan post chemo.

In any case your onc is right in that you should focus on dealing with chemo at the moment - though it is hard to put it out of your mind until you know what is happeneing.

If you have any questions ask away! Good luck with the chemo.

Fiona

vivrog

Recently dx with BC and lung mets

Hi everyone I hope there is someone out there that can enlighten and put my mind at ease. I was dx with BC in Jan this year. I have had a WLE and full node clearance.

Before I started chemo I had a full body CT and a bone scan. On the day of my first chemo I was told by my onc that a 1cm tumour had been found on my right lung (same side as my BC) and that it was 'very strongly suspicious of being lung mets' As you can imagine I was shocked but the onc really down played it and said I had too much to worry about with the chemo and everything and it wouldn't alter the treatment plan, they would just re scan me after my 8 chemo sessions to see what was happening. I tried to get some more info from him but he kept telling me not to worry and just concentrate on being positive through the chemo.

I have now had 2x chemos and the worry is getting worse.

Has anyone had experience of being dx with a secondary so soon after primary dx and if so how it was handled.

Much love to all you brave ladies out there.

Viv x