cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon with implant only

26 REPLIES 26
Helenbythesea

Re: Recon with implant only

Not sure where mine is! But I had a mesh !
Shelly_8

Hi,

I just came across your posts and wanted to share this with anyone who has had impant based reconstruction and axillary node clearance.

If you have a look at www.tendercush.co.uk you'll find a product called tendercush cushion, which has been designed specially to give relief for pain in the armpit and breast area post surgery.

I sleep with mine, and use it whenever i need to.

Hope this helps someone else as much as it has helped me.

Shelly x

songbird68

Hi How are you all getting on? I had left mx immediate recon last August. It is well healed, sometimes some pain around the area, but mostly fine.

My implant was placed above the muscle, no strattice. I have been researching this and it is not as common as under the muscle. Has anyone else had an over the muscle implant/s?

take care x x

Helenbythesea

Keep on trying - good luck with the consultant

wax2014

Hi,  The hospital was was my first port of call since it was a Saturday, the ward sister just told me to go to A&E or the local out of hours.! !Not very helpful,  I called111 and they got me an appointment with a doctor within 2 hours. I am due to see the consulatant this afternoon so will discuss with him also

Wax  xx

Helenbythesea

Any concerns about the wound and i would contact your hospital - they are the ones that did the op and know what to expect, i contacted the breast cancer nurses loads of times and it helped.

wax2014

Hi thanks for the pillow advice i'll try that..would seem better than juggling with the mounds of pillows I have at the moment. I ended up back at the doctors on saturday as I had a nasty yellow leakage coming from my wound, although the doctor was reluctant to take a close look I was given antibiotics incase of infection which has helped with the swelling.. Wax xxxx
kitten_mad

Re sleeping after MX - I used a V shaped pillow after my Mx op with LD Flap - it really helps and is worth buying one or borrowing one. It also stopped you from falling over on to your "bad" side during the night!

K M x

Helenbythesea

Keep on taking the painkillers!  Well done so far - when you have your dominat side done take care not to do too much post operatively speaking  -as that caused my swelling i think, and still does

wax2014

Hi I had my mx and implant recon on Saturday afternoon and came out the following day with drain removed before I left. Feeling fine and I've been out and about, the only problems I seem to have is that I seem to get really swollen when I first get up in the morning which is painful and trying to find a comfortable position to sleep is difficult..any suggestions would be appreciated along with suggestions on dealing with the swelling. Apart from these little nigggles I'm pleased with the surgery and now know having the other side done later on will be the right choice to put my mind at rest and to even me up....wax xxxx
Rosiedog

Just read about your experiences and made me feel so much better. Due to have bileral mastectomies with immediate implant reconstruction in 5 weeks and have been struggling to find any postives outcomes on previously radiated skin. Had triple neg cancer diagnosed june2012 lumpectomy chemo fec x6and radiotherapy. But have really struggled to move forward and so after thinking hard and session with health psychologist have decidced on further surgery.but at times panic making right choice . Did you  much pain and are you now limited at all in your arm movements . Also worried about sleeping on back can cope if short term but if forever wondering how i'll cope.

gk

I had this done 6 days ago. My pain has gone from horrendous to manageable already. I've got stretching exercises and am pretty perfect posture. Get some post op bras, move your mugs etc down to counter top level and don't try sleeping on your side!
chrisalex

Hello there

I too had a mx on my right breast with an expander and using a strattice reconstruction in September last year.  I finally had the op (mastoplexy) on my left breast nearly 2 weeks ago and have not regretted it.  Its still early days and I return to see my surgeon tomorrow.  If anything, it has made me more accepting of the original op and at last my breasts appear to be a similar shape and size. 

I agree that the port is annoying and I hope to have this removed soon.  You are lucky to have had the top up so soon as I had to wait for over a year!  I hope that this has helped with your decision.

Regards Chris

sweetcandy

Hi ladies

I had my mastectomy / reconstruction permanent expander implant on my right breast on 1st July and had my last saline fill 2 weeks ago, i am very please with how it has gone and the surgeon is very please with the shape and how it has healed.

As long as you keep the impant well oiled and massage it when you put the oil on it should be ok, also remember to do your exercises that helps, but got to be honest cant wait for the port to be taken out as that can dig in a bit, now got a 3 month wait for everything to settle down and then the big choice of wheather I want my other breast reduced and lifted to match my now new perkier one, always said i did not want no more operations after what I have been throught, but the more I look at myself the more I am thinking maybe yes I will as I can now see I am lower and larger on my natural breast than the other one.

Dont regreat having it done, I am very please with it and have been very lucky up till now and not had many problems.

Would love to hear from anyone that has had a reduction/lift on their good side breast, to help me make my mind up.

Tracy1967

Good luck with your operation on Wednesday Sharon. XXX
shazmos

I would love to join this thread. 

I am having mastectomy with immidiate implant reconstruction on my left breast on Wednesday.  I'm a little anxious but reading these posts have really helped. 

Thank you.

Sharon

Guest user
Not applicable

I had this done a few days ago - bilateral with the strattice matrix implant method. I am now 3 days post op and honestly don't feel too bad. I do get a bit sore but it's definitely bearable so long as i keep on top of the pain killers. The drains and dressings are a bit of a pain, and i'm on preventative antibiotics but definitely no regrets as yet!

Spent 2 nights in hospital, was up and about pretty quickly!

Guest user
Not applicable

I too am having a bilateral mastectomy, implant only, on the 21st November so am pleased to read some positive experiences. I think I've read up on every single thing that could go wrong so to hear that some people do not regret their decision is good news for me!

Guest user
Not applicable

thank you - it's so good to hear from people that have had the same thing done. I've been given a date - 21st Nov. Getting nervous now.
Tracy1967

I had a bmx with implants only on the 14th October and it was definitely the right decision for me - no regrets. They look pretty good but are currently quite hard until they settle down. The worst part for me was the drains, I had 6 in total (3 in each breast) and was in hospital for 2 days. 2 drains were removed on the Wednesday that I came home and the 4 other drains were removed within 10 days. As I said the drains were terrible but I had no further swelling or infections etc. I'm now nearly 3 weeks on and doing most things like as normal. Ribs are a little sore / pulling when stretching but otherwise doing well. Remember to do your exercises which really help with arm movement. Good luck with your surgery

Tracy XXX
San_d

Hi Leesa,
I'm still having a few problems. My mastectomy side is still quite painfull and I'm still going to out-patient clinic to have it drained. But yes I made the right decision to get rid of this cancer; hopefully I have but don't know yet, I get my result on Monday.

What date is your op.
Bean14

Hi Leesa,

I had a bilateral with implant recon on the 16th October. I've not regretted the decision as it was something I'd thought long and hard about having had breast cancer 10 years ago.
My left breast ( the side with the recent cancer) has healed well and just has a scab at the t junction. The right side where I had a lumpectomy and radio before hasn't behaved as we'll due to a damaged blood supply. I have a small post op infection below the implant but it's healing now.
The surgery wasn't as bad as I'd feared, in fact the staff made me very comfortable. I'm less than 2 weeks post op and home, with 1 drain to be removed tomorrow, but getting about fine.
I've been pleased with how I look, possibly a bit smaller than we'd discussed due to having to remove some saline to aid healing but that's all.
Speak with your Brest care nurse if you've any doubts but I can truly say it's the best decision I've made.
Hope it goes well x

Janey160359

Hi Leesa
I had mastectomy to left breast with immediate reconstruction and reduction to right breast. I had an implant that is to be filled with saline until it matches my other breast.
I was in hospital 4 days then was allowed home for the weekend but then discharged Monday morning when I returned.
I had 3 drains in and had two out within 2 days of surgery then the third out day of discharge.
There is discomfort but painkillers took regularly help a lot. I am now 7 weeks down the line and feel great. Even managing to sleep on my tummy which haven't been able to for a while.
I do have a small wound to the T junction of suture line to right breast which is annoying but it is healing slowly.
My implanted breast does not feel as soft as my other breast but is not too hard as some muscle surrounds implant and skin feels soft.
There is still sensation to the skin and although not as sensitive as a real breast it is a good alternative.
I think the results of the implant look great but I am a bit lop sided at the mo as it still needs a few saline fillings. Of course every experience is different but I am pleased with the result. I wish you all the best with your operation.
Hope this helps Janey xxxxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there

Thank you for the reply. 

How are you now? Does it look and feel okay? Do you think you made the right choice?

I hope you are well x

Leesa

San_d

Hi Leesa
I had left side mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction on 8th October. I was in hospital for 6 days due to the drain
Janet_BCC

Dear Bella1977

As well as the support you will receive on here about your forthcoming surgery, you may like to consider getting in touch with our one to one support service.  They could put you in touch with a trained volunteer who has had the same procedure.  I have attached a link for more information about the service:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk/one-one-support

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Recon with implant only

Hi

I'm having a bi lateral mx with immediate recon next month. Its implants only. Would love to hear from anyone whos had this done.. Experiences, advice etc

Leesa x