73.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconstruction-LD flap with implant, which implant is best?

6 REPLIES 6
holly56

Re: Reconstruction-LD flap with implant, which implant is best?

Hi I had a LD with normal implant 3 years ago and have been happy with the result however if I had the choice now I would go for the Becker as you can be 'realigned'. What I would say is don't expect the reconstruction to feel normal as in my opinion you are always aware of it and your back can feel constantly tight(as though you have a bra on even when you don't). No-one ever tells you this!However overall I am quite happy with the result and nobody can tell when you have clothes on.x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Miss Sixty,

I had a double mastectomy last Feb (Preventative) & was given 'normal' silicon implants. I was left with a big difference & 2 weeks ago was given a becker implant, I've really had no problems with either but for symmetry I would definately go for the becker. I'll be getting injections to fill it soon.

Hope this helps.
taa1234
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rosie

Thanks for your feedback, it was very helpful thanks. I think the more I hear from others who have been through this, and any reasons for their choices, the better. What you describe makes perfect sense and whereas I can see the reasoning behind the Becker - I really want to go for the best shape, feel and look, so perhaps the silicone one is best for me.

Much appreciate your reply.
Kind regards
Miss Sixty x

rosebud454

Hi Miss Sixty,

I had r sided mx nearly 5 years ago, LD with becker implant. The reason for this was to gain symmetry by adding saline two weeks after op, and then two weeks after again, although this can be done several more times, or even taken out if too much has been added.
In my experience, I think I had a bit too much saline added.

However, 7 weeks ago I had the implant replaced by a slightly smaller silicone one, at my request (my consultant was quite happy to leave becker one in as they can be left in permanently, just the port being removed when desired symmetry is achieved).
I wanted it exchanging because I believed the silicone ones would be softer. To a certain extent it is and it feels more comfortable and the whole boob appears smoother. It is early days yet and I am still hoping it will drop a little more and become more softer too.

Hopoe this helps
Good luck,
Rosie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply. All info is helpful and appreciated at this stage, thanks.

It sounds like your reconstruction was very successful and it's good that you were pleased with both the surgery and the outcome.

As I've read more over the weekend, it looks like technology is moving on as always and that the Becker is probably the best. I'll keep reading and taking info from other's experiences though before making up my mind.

Sorry to hear of your 2 recurrences, I hope all is manageable for you.

Kind regards
Miss Sixty

Janice

Hi

I had an immediate LD reconstruction with implant almost six years ago, the reason I was able to have it immediately was because for me it was a recurrence so having had radiotherapy 20 years previously it wasn't an option to have it again. I know through experience implants don't react well with radiotherapy but thats another story.

At the time I had never heard of a becker implant and it was never mentioned, I just had a normal one and had no problems with it. I have had more discomfort from my back where the muscle was taken, but overall am glad I had it done. It is a big operation but I was surprised how little pain there was and how good it looked immediately after.

I have had 2 recurrences since having it done but so far have managed to hang on to it.

Best wishes

Jan

Guest user
Not applicable

Reconstruction-LD flap with implant, which implant is best?

I have recently been diagnosed with DCIS. I'm to have a MX and and after much reading and discussion with BCN, Onc and plastics surgeons it has been decided that an LD flap with implant reconstruction at the same time is best for me as it will give me the best symmetry. However, apparently my plastic surgeon prefers a Beckers expandable implant, the type with the valve so it can be topped up post surgery if required, whereas my Onc surgeon prefers the non-valve type. I would appreciate any sharing of experiences from those who have had either of these fitted to help me make the choice and also, any information and/or advice re the LD flap surgery would be welcomed.

Thanks girls.
Miss Sixty