Reconstruction and radiotherapy

I’d really welcome hearing others’ experiences. I have tumours in both breasts, and am now faced with a very difficult choice. On the left hand side I will need a mastectomy; on the right hand side I could have a lumpectomy. Until recently I had decided on a double mastectomy and implant reconstruction at the same time. Unfortunately my surgeon has now gone sick and I have been referred to a different one, who has advised me that since it is highly like I will need radiotherapy, there are quite strong risks associated with implants, and she also seems to think that breast conservation would be preferable on the right hand side.
I am really struggling with this decision, and don’t have long to make it as my surgery is scheduled in the next 10 days. Has anyone out there had simultaneous reconstruction with an implant only on one side? How well matched was it?
Has anyone had an implant before readiotherapy and what was your experience? My surgeon thinks there is reasonable risk that an implant would be negatively affected and in the worse case scenario I would have to have the reconstruction taken down.
I decided on the implant route because I am very scared of the alternative reconstruction methods (I am quite a wuss about operations and am not very good at being ill!) Can anyone reassure me?
Thank you to anyone who replies, I know that I am not the only person struggling with this condition and I’d really appreciate hearing from you.
Louis

Dear Louis

I am so sorry that your post has not been replied to, this is due to the technical issues we have experienced since changing the site and we are still working hard to rectify these

Kind regards

Lucy

Hi Louis,
Not sure if this helps but I had a tissue expander put in following mastectomy. This is topped up with saline, in my case 3 times, once during surgery and then again on 2 occasions. This helps stretch the skin and then at a later date it is replaced with an implant. However at my last plastic surgeon appt, he has now told me as I am having radiotherapy, I will have to have a skin flap taken from my back or stomach. This has not been finalised yet and won’t be till next year. My understanding is that the radio can shrink the skin which is why he needs the extra skin to give a more natural outcome. I had been led to believe that if an implant was put in straight away and then rads, the rads could compromise the implant.
Hopefully you will get some more replies to help you I realise my circumstances are not the same as yours but thought the above might be useful. There is a breast reconstruction support group in my area thatI intend to join when I need to make some more decisions re my recon. Perhaps have a look to see if there is something near you.
Good luck and take care. You can always pm me if you want any other info.
Gaynor x

Hi Gaynor,
thanks for sharing, its very helpful to hear your experiences.
I went ahead and had the mastectomy and implant on the left hand side, and the breast conservation surgery on the right side, although 3 weeks later I had to go back in to have the lymph nodes removed and a cavity shave in the right breast because they didn’t get the clear margin they were looking for. I have just had the good news that no more surgery is required, but going to see the oncologist next week about radio and chemotherapy. I’ll definitely ask more questions regarding the implant if they say I need radiotherapy on the left hand side too.
Very helpful to hear from you, thank you
Louis

Hi Gaynor,
thanks for sharing, its very helpful to hear your experiences.
I went ahead and had the mastectomy and implant on the left hand side, and the breast conservation surgery on the right side, although 3 weeks later I had to go back in to have the lymph nodes removed and a cavity shave in the right breast because they didn’t get the clear margin they were looking for. I have just had the good news that no more surgery is required, but going to see the oncologist next week about radio and chemotherapy. I’ll definitely ask more questions regarding the implant if they say I need radiotherapy on the left hand side too.
Very helpful to hear from you, thank you
Louis

Has anyone out there had an ld flap with implant on one side (affected side) and implant only on the other?