Reconstruction choices

I have just been told that I need a mastectomy, I’ve already had 2 rounds of surgery, this came as a total shock as the lump was so small but anyway they found more.

I am thinking about having tissue from my tummy or bottom used rather than an implant although on reading more about it I am worried about the length of surgery… It seems that it goes on for hours and I saw it described I am terrified by the thought of anaesthetic etc.

I’m also a bit worried now about pain and restriction of movement due to then other surgery sites. As well as the scars that are left.

Does anyone have an experience, I see lots posted about implants but not about this sort of surgery.

Hi Bimble,

Sorry you have to go down the Mx route. if you look under the “living with breast cancer” title to the left, you will find a section called “reconstructive surgery”. There’s quite a bit on there.

Failing that, you could ring the helpline and ask them to put you in touch with some of their volunteers. Or, try googling “keeping abreast”. I phoned their chairperson, and she was really friendly and very helpful.

Hugs,

Margaret

Thank you some good chats yesterday with ladies that had had the tummy flap and an implant.