Reconstruction, expander then implants

Hi all

I had a left mx sept 2012, am due to have expander put in on 2nd sept, before having implants (having implant in right breast also) would like to hear from anybody who has had same (even better if from nottinghamshire). Did you have nipple reconstruction, what is pain like during time with expander, could you still carry on with normal daily activities.

Hi Beverley, I have sent you a. PM. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jude

Hi Beverley,

I also had a left mastectomy on September 2012 but I had an expander fitted at the same time. Its a little painful at first because it is behind the muscle (same as the permanent implant will be) but its fine - I was allowed to drive after 3 weeks. When the expander is expanded it hurts again for about a week.

I had to have mine drained because my wound hadn’t healed - but that isn’t normal. I am seeing my surgeon mid September about having a second mastectomy (due to a strong family history) and reconstruction. - so am soon to have the thing expanded again - we can stretch together :) 

I’m not sure I want the bud made for the nipple reconstruction because I don’t want it showing through clothes - but I do want the tattoo so I am not reminded of this every time I take a shower - it will at least look normal. I will ask the surgeon if this is possible.

keep posting what you decide and how it is and I will too xxx

(I had my mastectomy in Bristol and am now living in Belfast - so not in Nottinghamshire I’m afraid)

Hi Beverly,i had a mx 3 years ago,radiotherapy,chemotherapy and now on Arimidex.
I had five surgeries in total, I had a wle a full node removal first, then I had recon later on the breast,then I had ovary removal and a total mx due to fining out I was a braca two carrier,it would appear that my mum, nan and two great aunts all had bc before the age of. 45, I myself wad 44.
At a later date 6 months on I had my expanders fitted and over a few weeks the were sliwly filled,i then had surgery to have the implants,and 4 months later had another surgery due to one of my breasts dropping.
I had both nipples removed,which was really bizarre,this was in December 2012,i am now going to look into nipple tatooing, it appears I will have to pay a couple of hundred pounds and I can’t afford it at present.
I did find the expander process painless and easy,hope all goes ok for you in September:-)

Thinking of you tomorrow Beverley. Good luck xxx

I had an implant expander put in at same time as mx on 16 aug but still getting seromas so havent started expnding it yet. Im taking lots of painkillers but still in pain but dont know which part of the op is actually causing the pain. Havent really thought much about nipple options yet but i have been told its all free as an nhs patient and can be discussed when expander is complete. at times it all seems sureal i only found out id got bc 6 weeks ago x