Reconstruction options

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum after being diagnosed last week - tiny amount (3mm) of invasive but larger area of DCIS so NHS breast surgeon is recommending masectomy and reconstruction.  I seem to have two options - implant with matrice or DIEP flap.  I’ve spoken to the BCN about the impant option (which would be with NHS) and I’m going to see the plastic surgeon on Thursday about the DIEP flap option (which would be private through work medical insurance).

I’ve been reading through the forum and there seem to be lots of mixed reports on DIEP flaps - some people seem to have reasonably trouble free recoveries and others seems to have nothing but problems!!  I think instinctively I prefer the idea of DIEP flap so it is my own tissue, but I’m a little worried about potential problems in either the new breast or the abdomen.  

If anyone has any advice they could share on either implants or DIEP flaps, I’d be most grateful.  This is a whole new world I’m having to learn about…

Thanks!

Hiya, have a look at 4 princesses posts, she had MX and DIEP yesterday and is already back posting, I’m listed for 22nd …I’ve been through the same dilema as you are going through and just spoke to a wide range of people, medics and BCC volunteers. I switched right round from being adamant I would not have a recon to  now readying myself for the DIEP. My BS, PSs and BCN all recommending DIEP, but it has taken me ages to decide.

So no easy answers,  I’m afraid, and all good luck in your decision making, Caroline

I have had implants,they never feel "you"however,you get used to them,unfortunately,mine  reacted,and they were removed.Ended up with DIEP a huge operation,but you can end up with a flat tummy,and soft boobs.Go by your instinct.Easy to overthink all this,and then waters get muddied when getting advice,etc…

How did you find the recovery from the DIEP Jillybee? That’s the bit that scares me s little - it seems that quite a lot of people have trouble with their stomach wound recovering. x

Thanks Caroluna!!