Diamondlady is exactly right, that even if you decide not to have immediate reconstruction, you CAN have delayed reconstruction in almost all cases. I faced the same dilemma as you almost seven years ago. I had a consult with a plastic surgeon and, after considering the various options, it was recommended that the latissimus dorsi flap would be my best choice. I scheduled the surgery but then started feeling very anxious. I decided that I wasn't sure enough that I wanted reconstruction to go forward. As soon as I cancelled the surgery, I felt my anxiety melt away. That's just me, of course, but I did realize that my body was telling me something. So I would say, pay attention to your gut feelings about this.
As I approached my mastectomy without reconstruction, I found that there was virtually no information online about living breast-free, so after my surgery, I started a non-profit website, BreastFree.org
. You might find it helpful to check it out. There are personal stories, photographs, information, and advice.
For myself, I've never regretted not going forward with reconstruction. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.