cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconstruction recovery

4 REPLIES 4
nonsuch

Re: Reconstruction recovery

Ohhh so tough for you...you might be pretty ok to do stuff like washng after three months, but I'd think you'd need to be careful about lifting weights and you'd probably get tired sooner than usual.

The extent to which you'll be over it depends on age, fitness and how it all heals. I went on holiday after three months exactly and found it hard to swim initially but nothing else really held me back. I had done all the physios exercises very religiously.

I guess having it done privately would solve the problem time wise but it's a bit of an expensive option unless you have insurance.

The outcome is usually very good and ladies I know who have had delayed recons are extremely pleased with the whole thing.

Good luck anyway,
Nonsuch

sue987

Thanks nonsuch,
that worries me that it took you four months to phase back in. I have four holiday cottages which get busy at Easter so lots of cleaning and washing (though I do have cleaners aswell). By the behaves have the op I would have been on the waiting list gor 11 months and there is no guarantee it will go ahead if there is no bed! i really don't know what to do as I don't want to wait a whole year for a new boob! Think I will need time to really mull this over.

nonsuch

Hi sue,
I'll try to tell you how it was for me...
I live alone, and work full time with a job that involves travelling and high intensity working whilst away for two weeks at a time.

I had a mx and DIEP end of last November. A friend stayed for four nights after I came out of hospital, and others popped in to bring main meals for a couple of weeks. I went out for a walk 13 days after surgery and I drove on Christmas day, just over 5weeks after but it's an automatic car and easy to drive.

You do need to build up your physical stamina, but I was surprised how long it took to get my head back into proper focus. It felt like cotton wool in my focus!!! Im not sure how common this is, but it was explained to me as a result of the huge adrenalin surge around the op abd recovery. However, the main and obvious physical effects of surgery take about a month to get through, but then you're into the rehabilitation phase.

There is quite a big physical impact because of needing to ensure the blood vessels are fully knitted, for instance physios told me not to lift even a one kilo weight until at least 8 wks after surgery, nor to Hoover. I was advised not to go back to work for three to four months, so I phased my return over the fourth month. But even then I found it tough, and the first week away was killing to start with, even though I'm fairly fit.

Hope this helps, I can send more info if it would help you. It does seem a pity that you can't fix it for your quiet time, though there seem to be long lists everywhere and many ladies wait over a year for a recon.

Good luck, it will be worth it!
Nonsuch

Lucy_BCC

Hi Sue

In addition to waiting for replies here you may find it helpful to call our helpline and speak to them about our 'one to one' support whereby they can put you in touch with someone who has had a similar experience to you and you are able to contact them, if you are interested see this link for further information:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk

Best wishes

Lucy

sue987

Reconstruction recovery

I have finally got a date for my DIEP reconstructive surgery. I asked for November but they have given me early January. i asked for November due to my work commitments, I am self employed and November to February is a quiet time for me so having it in January could have a big impact on my job as it is quite a physically demanding job. What i am worried about is how long the recovery will be? Can anyone shed any light on how long before they were driving and doing their housework?!