Reconstruction using implant and pecks

I have opted for immediate reconstruction with implant in couple of weeks time but I start getting doubts. I have been more worried about movement in shoulder and arm because I am passioned surfer (of ocean waves) for which I need to paddle hard. But I also need to be able to ‘pop up’ quick on the board and this may be affected by this reconstruction because the implant goes under the peck muscle. Does anyone have experience with implant reconstruction and doing push ups?

Hi Wahini

I had an implant on top of the muscles, so not the same as you but I wanted to respond with my experience and also to see if you have looked at the option of an implant on top of the muscles.

Are you having your nodes taken out too? I had mine removed and was told that I need to be careful lifting heavy weights, including my own body weight, with my “bad” arm. This is because of the risk of lymphoedema after node clearance. However, from my experience the advice out there is conflicting. 

I believe the risk of lymphoedema is less if you aren’t having nodes removed. I’m sure others will be along with their experiences but do ask your surgeon for the latest thinking on what is safe to do. Do contact me if you would like any advice on recon on top of the muscle.

Wishing you all the best whatever you choose to do.

Evie xx