Reconstruction

Hi all
Having problems trying to get this to work!
New to the forum- just come on a couple of days ago.
Have got to make a decision about reconstruction tomorrow. I am having bi-lat mx. I’m in my early 40’s with 4 young children and am obviously worried about making the wrong choice.
I appreciate everyone has different experiences and there is no ‘right’ choice, but just want to make informed choice- whilst in a vulnerable and emotional state!!!
Would appreciate any comments from anyone- think the choice is between Stattice, expander and LD (I was told I didn’t have enough body fat for the other options- is that possible??)
Very confused!
Beth x

Hi Dorothybeth,

I am sure your fellow forum users will be along shortly but while you are waiting I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication regarding reconstruction. Also if you want to talk to someone in confidence then please do phone the helpline here, lines are open again tomorrow at 9am, calls are free 0808 800 6000

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

Here’s also the link to our animated guide on reconstruction:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconstruction/breast-reconstruction-animated-guide

I hope you find these helpful. Kind regards,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Dorothybeth - love your Crystal Tips picture! Definitely my era.

I had a single mastectomy and LD reconstruction about 20 months ago. Cosmetically it is fabulous, but I don’t suppose that’s quite so key for you. For the first couple of weeks I had to be very careful with my arm and not put any weight through it, but after that it recovered well and after about six weeks I could use my arm quite normally again. I think my arm is slightly weaker than it was, but I am maybe more cautious than some folk. I was told not to lift anything over about 10lbs with that arm on its own and never more than 1.5kg with that hand above my head becuase of my risk of lymphodema; if your nodes are clear this won’t be a problem for you and you may be able to lift heavier items. If your children are very small, and you want to by picking them up for cuddles etc, this might be worth thinking about, especially as you are having both sides done.

I was in hospital for a week - slightly longer than average as I live alone - and needed some help with housework for several weeks when I came home, but I was driving after six weeks and back at work in twelve.

I hope this helps a little bit and that you get some other replies to help you think this through. Do make sure your surgeon knows how you use your arms as the LD option has some implications e.g. if you are a serious swimmer or a rock climber!!

Hi Beth,

I am just five weeks post op from a 2nd mx and double reconstruction (one delayed) using the LD (muscles from the upper back). I too didn’t have enough fat for the tummy tuck method. I do believe that they will give you lots more information before you are obliged to make a decision. From what I was told, they have to give you lots of counselling prior to surgery. I hope that is the case in your neck of the woods. Although reconstruction on both sides was tough during the first few days I am now hopeful that it will have been worth it in the long run. It is a very personal thing and many women on here are happy to live breast / breasts - free and to be honest, I was not too bothered when I had my first mx and couldn’t have reconstruction as I needed radiotherapy (I had chemo prior to surgery to shring the tumours). However, when I was diagnosed with BRACA 2 and needed the 2nd mx in any case I decided (somewhat reluctantly) to go through with the reconstructions at the same time so my decision was made easier for me. I hope this helps but please feel free to PM me or whatever you need. Hugs Jan.

Thank you Ladies
I’m SO grateful for your replies and very grateful for having found this forum (even though I’ve never been a forum kind of person). Reading all the comments and feeling the support has been very encouraging for me at such a terrifying time! Also made me feel that I’m not totally alone and that there are people out there who understand how I feel and what I’m going through.
I have had another phone call this evening from a BCC volunteer and am quite confident I am going to go with expanders and silicone. It’s the first time in a week I actually feel slightly peaceful about the whole thing - so think that is also a sign it’s the right choice!
Thank you again -
Beth x

Hi Beth

I didn’t have enough fat so went for a Beckers expanders reconstruction. One side delayed and one immediate prophylactic. The 2 ports that sit on your ribs were quite painful at first but after about 4 weeks they settled down. I had my first inflation around 4 weeks later. I had numerous inflations thereafter and am now a c cup and very pleased with the result. I am due to have the injection ports removed in 3 weeks time.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tracy
x

Thank you Tracy
I have my appointment today and will keep you posted. Good to hear from someone further along the journey.
Beth x

Hi just like to say good luck X I’m having a dflap + expander implant in next week and having my other breast done later date. Nervous as hell but nice to hear positive outcomes on here for reassurance X

Hi Dorothy Beth,
I had an LD flap reconstruction 4 weeks ago. I’ve just started driving short distances, (although my car is an automatic, which makes it easier), and am starting to feel that I can begin to do things again. I don’t know how I’d be manouvering my car into a car park space, but just driving to collect my children from school is fine. I do, as yet, have limited movement in my left arm, but I’ve been told how important it is to do the physio exercises they give you - so I’m doing them conscientiously!
I have to say that now, even without the nipple reconstruction & new scars, the effect is amazing. It has been, for me, a great boost waking up from such a distressing operation and look so like the me I’ve always known. The skin graft where my nipple was is healing well and the wound on my back is on my bra line. I’m currently wearing a sports top with an inbuilt support that sits below the wound site. This is OK, but I do have a haematoma & it tends to sit on that, (ow!), but that’s only temporary, I just have to put my head down and sit it out for a few weeks whilst it is re-absorbed. Everyone has the decisions to make themselves and everyone feels and reacts differently, but for me, the LD flap recon worked and I’m very happy that I went down that route.
I found the BCC helpline very useful. You have a lot of huge decisions to make very quickly and whilst my breast nurse is a star and very approachable, it is nice to be able to talk to somebody totally outside of your situation and discuss pro’s and con’s of each procedure. The PDF’s that you can download from this website were also very useful, they are what I refer to when I want some accurate factual information: don’t rely on Dr Google!
Wishing you the best of outcomes & sending hugs.
loubee