Reconstruction

Hi, hope I am in the right place for this?

I had mastectomy in Sept 2012, followed by chemo and rads.  At that point I was not interested in having a re-construction, but am now considering the possibility.  I have spoken to Breast Care Nurse who is going to refer me for a consultation, but was wondering/hoping that there will be people on here who have gone down this path ie: choosing reconstruction some time after initial mastectomy.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has or is considering this option.

Thanks in advance

Dee x

Hi deeh

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication for reconstruction which I hope you find helpful.  Also you might get more replies if you post again in the ‘Surgery’ area of these forums, there are a lot of threads in that area relating to reconstruction here’s the link:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/bd-p/4445

Reconstruction pubs:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconstruction

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconstruction/breast-reconstruction-animated-guide

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Dee,I too had an MX over 2 years ago and have now decided on reconstruction. I’ve spent the past 2 years “doing my homework”, meeting surgeons, meeting ladies who have had it done from back/tummy an implants. Its all a personal choice but I’ve finally opted to have another MX and double reconstruction from my tummy - 5 weeks time. I’ve met woman who have had brilliant results - my issue is help with 2 children x

Hi Dee

I’m seeing the plastic surgeon again in June when he’ll hopefully put me on the waiting list for reconstruction - I had my mx in December 2012 but want the other one taking off too and a double recon.  I saw him in February and he told me that the waiting list (when I finally get on it!) is about 14 months long - but I have to lost 3 stone before he’ll operate. It’s taken me 13 months to lose 2 stone on Slimming World so God knows how long it’ll take me to lose another 3!  I’ll be completely honest and say it’s really getting me down as I can do everything exactly the same and lose weight one week and then put it on the next - my oncologist says it’s a hangover from the chemo - bloody typical!

Good luck with your operation!

from fatty!!!

Hi there

I had a left Mastectomy in April 2013.  16 days ago I had the other breast removed and DIEP reconstruction.  I had done a lot of research and felt this was the best option for me.  So 16 days in and I’m feeling okay mentally, quite positive in fact.  My body is tired and I had a couple of problems with my tummy wound healing so underwent a further 2 small ops (all in 16 days) to correct the problem, that was a little demotivating but like most things a week or so on and you feel differently.  I’m now healing and as I write this I am looking down at my chest I have a small cleavage!! Something I’ve not seen for over a year, probably longer! 

I was a 34FF but I think I’m probaby a B now.  I would have liked to have been a little bigger but feeling balanced was more important to me than size.  I’m looking forward to buying new bras when the time is right.

DIEP reconstruction is a huge operation especially when you have a mastectomy at the same time.  So you cannot underestimate how you will feel for the first few weeks. My left side where the breast was removed over a year ago isn’t uncomfortable at all and is a good shape.  The other side where I have had the mastecomy at the same time as recon is quite tender and I have hard areas (fat necrosis) but the surgeon said that this will sort itself out in time and what doesn’t get sorted naturally can be fixed with a small procedure.

My view is that I’m am going through short term suffering for a long term gain.  Happy to provide more about my experience so far if you are considering this procedure.

Good luck with your decision and recovery :smileyhappy:

Hello Dee

I’m at home recovering from reconstruction on 23rd April. Had mastectomy March 2012, ddn’t have reconstruction then because I had a lot of other stuff going on in my life.

I was due to have expander saline implant. When I was back on ward Consultant told me he had inserted that type but there is no need to have sessions to expand it. He wouldn’t answer any questions, saying save those for clinic! I return to clinic tomorrow for check and to have copious dressings removed. I only asked for 34B implant as I am a small, skinny lady. He has offered to tighten up my other breast on another occasion, I’m old so boob sags badly.

I am doing fine. It is sorer than I’d anticipated but not really painful unless I bend down, guess that tugs on the wound. Am taking pain killers, mostly they just make me sleepy. I had to go on waiting list of 6 mths for reconstruction, no problem for me. I can tell you more about the physical outcome after tomorrow,although from what I’ve read it can take several months to see final result, already I am glad I went ahead.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sheila

Hi Dee,

I had original treatment in 2007 (mx, chemo, rads, herceptin) and a delayed LD flap in 2010.  Never looked back, best thing I ever did.