cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering from chemotherapy

8 REPLIES 8
riversidedawn

Re: Recovering from chemotherapy

Hi ladies, it does take time and everyone's different. I'm about 2 years post start of treatment (surgery sept 14, chemo nov14-april15, further surgery, rads July 15, and recon surgery April 16). I'm still not 100%, I continued light exercise throughout my treatment, yoga, walking, swimming when immune system allowed. It was only a few months ago that I felt well enough to look for a new job, been working part time since sept - still have to pace myself, have to take a long lunch break and day off Wednesdays in order to keep going. This time last year I was having daily afternoon naps and pottering in the mornings.

It does get better, but patience is required. I found that once my body had healed I then needed to give my mind time to recover too.
Sue C
Community Champion

Reassuring that I'm not the only one!

Am moving house next weekend and finding it a struggle to get motivated to doing the packing. Xx

swampy1901

Hi Sue C

I can understand your impatience but as I have found - going through chemo is full of ups and downs. After my last chemo I went christmas shopping on day 2 because I felt ok. But on other days since have been a total sofa sloth because of the general feeling as you have described and sometimes coupled with nights of little or no sleep have simply not had the energy! Frustrating isn't it?

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi blueash

It's just that general feeling of being a bit under the weather isn't it? A bit like a mild cold....tired and achy. And still got rads to come! Roll on 2017.....

Sue x

blueash
Community Champion

I had my last chemo 6 weeks ago and I still have water retention (but it is much better). I am OK most of the time but still not quite right but I cannot say what is wrong. 

OrangeGirl

I think so because if you start to feel better sooner, that will be a bonus rather than expecting to feel better sooner than is realsitic - that feels demoralising.

Enjoy the naps!

Sue C
Community Champion

Thanks orange girl

Yes, I suppose I'm impatient too. My chemo only took 3 months so will go by that I guess, but also got a month of radiotherapy coming up so that will set me back too. My original date back to see the consultant who diagnosed me at the start of all this, gave me a date next Easter. So maybe that's more of a realistic time scale? 

Sue x

OrangeGirl

Yep. I remember thinking, yay, done, now time to feel better.

It takes time. 

I was very impatient.

I was advised it takes as long to start feeling better as it took to go through chemo.

In reality, I don't think my athletic ability was anywhere near what I was used to for just over a year after finishing. 

I still suffered fatigue for a couple of years and needed well-timed naps. 

It's 3 years on from starting chemo now and I still have some (mild) side effects. 

Be kind to yourself, it will get better.

Sue C
Community Champion

Recovering from chemotherapy

Hi 

Have now completed my chemo ( TC 4 cycles, every 3 weeks), and was looking forward to feeling normal again. However, feeling rotten....tired, headache, achy muscles etc. So was wondering how long it takes to feel ok again? I expect my immune system is still low, but would like to feel better after all the treatment.

Sue x