Recovering from chemotherapy

Hi 

Have now completed my chemo ( TC 4 cycles, every 3 weeks), and was looking forward to feeling normal again. However, feeling rotten…tired, headache, achy muscles etc. So was wondering how long it takes to feel ok again? I expect my immune system is still low, but would like to feel better after all the treatment.

Sue x

Yep. I remember thinking, yay, done, now time to feel better.

It takes time. 

I was very impatient.

I was advised it takes as long to start feeling better as it took to go through chemo.

In reality, I don’t think my athletic ability was anywhere near what I was used to for just over a year after finishing. 

I still suffered fatigue for a couple of years and needed well-timed naps. 

It’s 3 years on from starting chemo now and I still have some (mild) side effects. 

Be kind to yourself, it will get better.

Hi ladies, it does take time and everyone’s different. I’m about 2 years post start of treatment (surgery sept 14, chemo nov14-april15, further surgery, rads July 15, and recon surgery April 16). I’m still not 100%, I continued light exercise throughout my treatment, yoga, walking, swimming when immune system allowed. It was only a few months ago that I felt well enough to look for a new job, been working part time since sept - still have to pace myself, have to take a long lunch break and day off Wednesdays in order to keep going. This time last year I was having daily afternoon naps and pottering in the mornings.

It does get better, but patience is required. I found that once my body had healed I then needed to give my mind time to recover too.