cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery from Mastectomy

6 REPLIES 6
Wendy56

Re: Recovery from Mastectomy

Thanks Wolsty at least I know it is possible to squeeze it in re timescale And just hope that I will then be ok for big day. Know I won't be partying tll all hours bu obviously wan to enjoy the day

x x
Wolsty

Hi Wendy, I had mx and LD flap reconstruction 11 days after my last chemo. My team wanted to check that my WBC count was good enough before going ahead. The reason I had it so quickly was that my surgeon was going on holiday and I then wanted to have enough time to recover before my kids broke up for the summer holiday so that we could try and squeeze a holiday in before radiotherapy started. Anyway, it all worked out fine. Best of luck xx

Wendy56

If they want to leave 6 weeks that is fine as can wait till after wedding but as I have a large tumour still in tact that is TN grade 3 think they will want to crack on with it rather than wait. Have got genetics next week but don't think I will have those results in time for surgery as was thinking maybe double mastectomy as no way could face it third time

x x
sukiem

Hi Wendy
I had my last chemo on 28th December and am scheduled for a skin sparing mastectomy with strattice and expanders on 22nd Jan. Three and a half weeks between chemo and surgery.

My hospital tends to do everything quickly and my surgeon was not concerned about the time scales. It might make a difference that I was having Neulasta injections every cycle so my blood counts were normal throughout (apart from hemoglobin which meant I had a blood transfusion after the 5th cycle).

As Tracey and Cressida have said-ask your surgeon. All the best x
Cressida

Wendy - surgery 3 weeks after chemo prob is ambitious. They like to leave it about 6 weeks to recover or there is a risk of infection. I did not have any recon after my Mx but I had seroma (fluid) which was painful and quite common. Do you need rads as well? Not trying to be a downer, as we are all different, but you need to talk this through with the surgeon. Will you be happy just to be at the wedding or are you hoping to be organising and dancing?
tracyld

Hi Wendy ,
I had a skin sparing mx in July 2010 and I had a holiday booked to Lake Garda at the end of August but my surgeon advised me to cancel which I did. I was so disappointed and was more upset about cancelling the holiday than the operation. On reflection it was a good idea but I am sure I would have managed fine , as I actually went on holiday to the Isle of Wight as I was driving everyone crazy by then !! LOL. I had my Chemo afterwards and was worried as my daughter was having an 18th Birthday party but again I was carried along with it all and danced the night away.
So to yourself I guess it depends how determined you are. I would ask your surgeon or oncologist what they think. They will be able to guide you much better than any of us really. I wish you all the very best with it all and hope your daughter has a lovely wedding day in April. Love and hugs Tracy xxx
Wendy56

Recovery from Mastectomy

Hi all

Just looking for some advice on recovery timescales on mastectomy .

I am having chemo first to shrink tumour and then possible lumpectomy. I have requested a mastectomy as I have had previous BC in other side and also need to consider having mastectomy other side. I am requesting this for peace of mind as I am sure some of you will understand.

Mastectomy will not involve nodes and underarm surgery and just want silicone or similar not anything like tram flap etc.

my question to you lovely ladies is ( I know we are different ) but how has everybody else felt after about 3 weeks as chemo finishes 5 March all being well and my daughter gets married 20th April and I am hoping they will fit me in for surgery end of March Am I being to ambitious ?

Would welcome your comments

Wendy x x