72K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery time from 2nd op to clear more margin?

4 REPLIES 4
Judithvr6

Re: Recovery time from 2nd op to clear more margin?

Cheers Ann & Boa,
That's just the sort of thing I wanted to hear  🙂
I'm happy to take another 7+ days out for recovery but know I will be chomping at the bit to get out and try and get some miles in.
My fella has said he'll set up a bike on his turbo (real bike with rear wheel set against a resistance wheel) so I can try and keep general heart/lungs fitness going.

And I'm 52 this year so no spring chicken but very active/healthy (if you can still be classed as healthy having breast cancer) so I'm expecting the heal quickly overall.

Boa

I had a second WLE to clear the margins. I was taken into theatre at 9 out at 10.15 and was raring to go home but the policy is four hours after coming round before you are discharged where I am. I was pretty well normal from then on though I didn't lift heavy objects for a whole and didn't drive for three days. I'm an older woman and I certainly don't run but when the dressing was removed about 10 days later it was healing well. I think you will be fine.
Weeannie1

Hi Judith,

I had a second op after WLE due to the margins not being clear. I healed up really quickly and had no problems at all and very minimal pain. Although not a runner, I do attend 3 jazzercise classes a week and returned to them 2 weeks post second op. I was unable to do weights and had to be careful with my arm motions, but managed the leg movements with no problems. I am 52 years of age, so no spring chicken! Hope this was of some help. Good luck with your treatment, and I hope you manage to take your place in the London marathon. Ann x x x
Sam_BCC

Hi Judithvr6

Welcome to the BCC forums.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their thoughts and experiences you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and questions with some one who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and

Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Judithvr6

Recovery time from 2nd op to clear more margin?

I'm a runner I have a few serious events entered this year.

I'm 2 weeks post lumpectomy op (sorry I still talk in the language of 22 years ago when I had my 1st lump.... am I REALLY doing all this again??) and sentinal node removal (?)

Things are starting to feel like they are settling down at last and I've managed a few gentle runs with a serious sports bra and compression bra on top but I'm due in for a second op on 11th Mch as they didn't take a wide enough margin.

My question - is the surgery to the boob likely to heal quicker than last time as it's only the boob this time and not boob & node surgery?
I've a London Marathon place which I gained through training hard for a Good For Age place and I WILL be on the start line and, God willing, will reach the finish line. I'm just wondering whether I'll get to any sort of distance in the 6 weeks post 2nd op!