Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurrence 2 years on

5 REPLIES 5
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Recurrence 2 years on

Dahlia - thanks for Debenhams tip for pillow, will go to local branch tomorrow in hope they have one, if not then will order off internet.

Also thanks to Jane, Birgit & Lulu for your comments. I found my original cancer when I noticed a dimple in the lower part of my right breast. WLE Jan 07, if I remember correctly tumour ER+ and measured 21mm. Not sure about grade, either 2 or 3. They also did axillary clearance, one out of twelve nodes being cancerous so chemotherapy and radiotherapy followed .

The new tumour is 7mm, and dx as local recurrence. I have opted for mastectomy and immediate reconstruction (LD flap method from back). Got appt for pre-ops on Tues, and will either go in hosp on Wed evening or early Thurs.

At the moment I'm ok but my children (adults now) are so worried about me. I keep telling them I'm not going anywhere yet till I've spent all their inheritance!

Glad to have found this site, it helps to be able to put my thoughts down and read how everyone else is coping.

Lulu34

sorry to hear of your recurrence lady c

iv not had a recurrence but i had a new primary grade 3 BC diagnosed this year on the other side, 3 years after WLE, rads and tamoxifen for my original diagnosis for grade 1 ER+.

before they got the path results my surgeon entered my tumour in a research trial as he was looking at 'tamoxifen resistant' tumours... mine turned out not to be tamoxifen resistant but ER neg.

also some tumours are more ER +ve than others its out of 8 so 8/8 is 100% positive so much more likely to respond to tamoxifen than 3/8 Er +ve.... mine was 100% but obviously made very little difference as new tumour is triple negative.

hope all goes well with your upcoming treatment.

Lxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry to hear you latest diagnosis, ladyC. I have no medical answers to your question, but can only talk about my personal experience. I had primary in 2000, mastectomy and immediate recon and Tamoxifen for 3 years. No chemo, as they thought it was not necessary. Had recurrence on the reconstucted boob in almost the same position in 2005. So in my csae, the Tamoxifen did not help. There may have been a very small cell left after the original op, but my consultant said it was 'just one of those things'. Even if I'd had chemo the outcome would probably had been the same. I have not had gene testing, although all female members of my family have had BC, so if it is genetically linked, that was probably the reason.

Second time round , I had total mastectomy and total auxillary clerance, followd by chemo and Arimidex. I am now 4 years down the road and all my tests are fine. I have 6 monthly check ups, full b/t once a year with CA153 tests, and the markers remain the same. So there is hope, even after a recurrence.

Best of luck with your treatment.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lady C

So sorry to hear about this and wishing you the best. A friend i met on chemo had a similar experience; recurrance at 26 months. she asked the same question and was told that Tamoxifen is more effective for some people than others, each of our bodies use medicine differently and that is not always predictable who will get most benefit from which treatments. She was told that some people may be ER+ but may also have a gene which prevents them utilising it fully, but apparently that is not a conclusion, just a "may". They also suggested it was leftover, too small at time of original dx to be excised but as it was so close to the original lump may have been already in development, although they got clean margins of WLE it could have been just outside the zone.

She is now almost 6 months post mx and looking forward to getting reconstruction when her skin, which was badly damaged by rads, has settled. She has also had an ooph (pre meno)to reduce hormone levels.

What was your original dx and is this the same grade etc? Are they treating it as a new primary or recurrance?

I had mx and recon last year so can help with advice to some degree - just ask.

All best wishes

Jane x

Guest user
Not applicable

Debenhams for a pillow.

Guest user
Not applicable

Recurrence 2 years on

Had WLE Jan 07, chemo & radio, tamoxifen and thought having passed the 2 years date I was out of the woods. Found lump at end of WLE last month, biopsed and tumour found. Scheduled for mastectomy as breast tissue 'unstable' with reconstruction. Has anyone else had this type of recurrence and wondering why tamoxifen hasnt stopped this happening?

Also, does anyone know where to get a triangular pillow to take into hospital. The argos maternity one is crescent shaped and I'm not sure this would do the job.

Thanks for any support and advice.