cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurrence after mastectomy - hope please

17 REPLIES 17
SLC

Re: Recurrence after mastectomy - hope please

Hi everyone. I had a double MX 12 weeks ago for a 13cm grade 2 Invasive Cancer and started chemo this week. I found a lump last week in the same breast and although all the doctors told me it would be unlikely to be recurrence and was likely to be a stitch, it is in fact BC. They can't tell me why its come back/grown that quickly so obvioulsly I'm anxious that its grown that much in such a short time. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a recurrance that quickly. Many thanks

Kindensurprise

Thanks ladies.

Moondog, I really hope your recurrence is one which is simply treated and wish you well.

Hugs and hope you're enjoying the sunshine where you are, knowing that you are having treatment and getting it dealt with.

Kinden
x

pargayan

Kinden - glad to hear your news is good.

Moondog, so sorry you have had to join the recurrence group. When I was in for my first ultrasound this january the doctor said that the treatments available have improved no end since 2009, which I took to be a positive.

Hoping like mad that your scans are all clear and yours is a 'simple' recurrence which can be speedily resolved.
Good luck x

dotchas

Kinden, great news, go celebrate!

Moondog, I had a "recurrance" 1 year after my MX/recon. It was found on an MRI scan and if I hadn't had an MRI ,heaven knows when it would have been found as it was not palpable and I got no imaging of my recon at follow-up.
No real explanation was given at the time which left me very anxious and upset. However, my surgeon then retired and my new surgeon was interested to find out what happened. He discussed my case with pathology and suggested the "recurrance" was actually cells left over from my core biopsy as they were so close to the skin i.e where the needle track was.
I found this reassuring as I hadn't produced a new tumour after such a short time. It was also reassuring to think, if it had been there for a year it hadn't grown as it was only 1.5mm IIRC.
I had WLE and rads with bolus to treat the skin surface intensely.
I hope yours is just a hiccup in your recovery like mine and has no lasting effects.
Love n hugs
Dot

Rattles

I was looking out to see how you got on Kinden-great news!!

Moondog, you sounds more positive now?

Good luck, Rattles

Guest user
Not applicable

Kinden, I'm delighted you have good news. I'm not actually feeling too bad today - the waiting has been the worst thing.

Take care xxx

Kindensurprise

Hi Moondog

I almost don't want to post as I have had good news today, and delighted as I am I am sorry for you to have had the opposite, but at least it hasnt spread, and you have done the right thing getting it checked out early.

Good luck

Kinden
x

Guest user
Not applicable

So sorry moondog 😞 I'm sorry to hear you have fell on the wrong sidevof good odds.
I know recurrence was rare after mx (i actually thought opting for a mx would stop it coming back!) but sadly it happens. I was only a few weeks out of my last chemo when i spotted a problem. Mine recurred in chest wall + presented as a skin rash not a lump
I feared the worst + onc was very negative. Was scanned from head to toe + thankfully the scans were clear + it was very much a local issue. Had some pretty drastic surgery + intensive rads (didnt have rads 1st time) + that controlled the skin disease. That was 2010 🙂
Best of luck, keep positivev+ throw everything you can at it. Hope they dont make you wait too long for scans + results. I remember only too well how hard it was awaiting my fate.
Good luck to everyone else on here facing/ concerned about recurrence after mx. Its just the pits 😞
Tina x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi. Thanks so much for your support everyone. I got my results and yes, the cancer is back. I have to have scans to check whether it's spread elsewhere but, if not, surgery and radiotherapy. Not the news I was hoping for, but not the end of the world. I was told that a recurrence after mastectomy is very rare - 2 per cent (one patient a year) but treatable.

Rattles, I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but let's hope it nails the critter.

Kinden, I very much hope you had good news today

X

Rattles

Hi All,

The plan is to have chemo in mid April. It will be different from before- carboplatin (cant spell it) and taxotere. Even though I did well (even though it was very tough) before on chemo., this regimen sounds like it will be very gruelling. Although new tumour small, it grade 3, triple negative and there were no visible changes in any scans (and there were many!!) since original diagnosis in June 2009. Therefore they are worried that it may have been present then and did not respond to last chemo. Also, hormone treatment not an option.

Go in for SNB Saturday. They say that if tehy find cancer present, they will then do clearance which will mean I waked up in HDU (had pos-op complications following bilateral mastectomies on 18th Feb). I am trying (and often succeeding) in seeing this as a positive thing as any cancer will be gone. But its very hard to be facing more surgery so soon and have only really felt bit better over last week.

I agree, the nights are worst.

Good luck to Kinden and Moondog. Will be thinking of you. Let is know how you get on.

Rattles xx

Kindensurprise

Hello

Moser and Rattles thanks for your kind words. Rattles hope you have a treatment plan in place soon.

Moondog - your results are tomorrow like mine - all the best to you.

Kinden
x

Rattles

I just wanted to join this thread to offer support and encouragement. I just had a 'new' primary diagnosed in my untreated breast after my original diagnosis in June 2009.

I know this is not a 'recurrence' as such, but oncologist saying that as new tumour found so soon, hard to know exactly how to define it.

I am also scared and havent really accepted that I will be having more chemo yet. They also want to do an SNB next week and have said that if it is positive, they will do cleareance there and then. It is alot to take in...................................

I am trying to say positive but it is hard.

Good luck to us all, Rattles, xx

moser

Kinden and Moondog, horrid to go through it again, but can I add to what the others have said here - a recurrence can often be treated very successfully. I had a local/regional recurrence in 2008, 4 yrs after original dx with mx, chemo and rads in 2004 Like you, horrified that it had happened, had surgery, 6 tax, rads and herceptin as recurrence was Her2+ - but (touch wood) have been NED since then - decided to make the most of my life and have done so much in these last 4 years.

All the very best to you both, love, Mo xxx

Kindensurprise

Hi Moondog,

No words of wisdom I'm afraid, just knowledge that you're not alone.

My dx was 2008, grade 3 with 5 out of 7 lymph nodes affected, age 38. Had WLE and auxilliary clearance then chemo then 6wks rads, then on tamoxifen, then had bilateral oophorectomy in Oct 10 and went on the letrozole. Now have 'thickening' at edge of surgical scar on breast. On Tuesday I had mammo, ultrasound and 5 x clinical biopsies taken - I too get the results on Weds, 2pm. Am scared witless after all that has been thrown at it so far; we're in it together!

Hugs and hope you manage to keep your mind off it, I am trying by keeping really busy - easy with a 6 and an 8 year old - but hard once they're in bed.

Kinden
x

lbx157

Hi there,

I know only too well how scared you must be feeling now. I was first diagnosed in 1998. Had a lumpectomy, chemo, rads & Tamoxifen. In 2004 I had a recurrence in the same breast so had to have a mastectomy and now on Armidex. I was devastated and had myself buried 6 feet under straight away. I thought it was the end & that it would spread everywhere. But as you can see from the date that was EIGHT years ago and I am absolutely fine now & enjoying life to the full. I am currently undergoing a reconstruction in order to finally say goodbye to the cancer and put myself back together again. Please don't give up hope, they can sort it, just hang on in there.

Love lbx157

pargayan

Moondog,
Sorry to hear you are waiting once again for results. I hope you get good news on Wednesday and know how horrible the wait is.

I was diagnosed in 2009 and had an MX followed by Arimidex and then tamoxifen. Went back to clinic in early January this year for another lump, I had to have 2 biopsies as they missed the lump on the first try and subsequently had an op for a recurrence in the chest muscle. Just started chemo to be followed by radiotherapy, herceptin and letrazole.

If it has come back, I think it is standard practice to send you for a variety of scans so they can check exactly what is going on.

Wishing you good luck and best wishes x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Moondog

Sorry to find you here again. I originally was diagnosed in 2005 & had an MX & reconstruction on New Years Eve. I was diagnosed with a recurrence in December & had my reconstruction removed. The recurrence sat underneath the reconstruction on the chest wall muscle. Am now having chemo & will have radiotherapy too. Never had that first time around but important to have it now. A PET CT scan in Dec confirmed it hadn't spread anywhere else so my chances of being here a lot longer are good with all the treatment I'm having. Try not to panic. Horrible to go through it all again but at least it's a recurrence rather than secondaries that you're facing. We're all here to hold your hand.

Hugs

Twinky x

Guest user
Not applicable

Recurrence after mastectomy - hope please

Hello, this is the first time I've posted here and hope that someone can give me some much needed reassurance.

Back in 2009 I was diagnosed with bc, early and grade 3. Shortly afterwards I found that I was BBCA1 so had a bilateral mastectomy. Then I had my ovaries removed.

A week ago I found a lump in the same breast that I had the original cancer. Today I had a biopsy and the surgeon said he suspected it was a recurrence.

I am sad and scared, but accept that a few cells may have been left behind and understand that the cancer may have returned.

I find out the pathology results on Wednesday. I am sure that there is someone out there who has had a similar experience and may be able to offer some words of wisdom.