Recurrence and ovary removal

11 REPLIES 11
dolph

Re: Recurrence and ovary removal

Thanks kess for the info.
🙂

Kess

My onc is very unhappy about using aromatase inhibitors for younger women. He said there is a tiny improvement in recurrence rates, but with a risk of much worse side effects, and he also doesn't think it helps with ultimate survival. I think this will differ depending on your team. Best to just talk it through with them and make sure you understand what is being recommended for you and why.
wendyf12

Hi Dolph

It was called "about to start Zoladex and panicking".....I told the lady on their the same story about my nurse as she was wondering if it was worth having the ovaries out rather than put up with the SE's of Zoladex.

Wendy x

dolph

Hello Wendy,

What is the title of the conversation of the other thread, which is similar to this topic?

Thank you for your comments, you have reaffirmed my decision about ovary removal.
Take care
Dolph
X

wendyf12

Hi,

I've been having a similar conversatiion on another thread.

When I was first diagnosed, nearly 8 years ago, a very good BC nurse told me that if I can keep my ovaries I should, even though I was ER+ and PR+.  She said that once I when I was better (and I would be), the little bit of hormone left would help my bones and stop me getting a Dowager's hump (will always remember her saying that bit, as she mimed it!!).

Its a personal choice, but I've held onto that and plan to keep mine if I can.

Wendy xx

dolph

Hello lolly73
I am sorry to hear about your recurrence.
I thank you so much for sharing your story, as that was my concern as to which I asked the oncologist about, whether cancer could still return after ovary removal.
I hope you are okay! Stay strong!! Lots of hugs coming your way x

lolly73

I was diagnosed at age 34 and was on tamoxifen and zoladex for a 18 months. I then had keyhole surgery to remove my ovaries, and moved onto exemestane.

I finished the exemestane at the normal 5 year mark. A year later and the cancer returned. So for me, having my ovaries out seemed to make no difference as my cancer was 8/8 hormone positive again. Now on Letrozole.I am also now on medication as i have osteopenia due to ovary removal at age 36.

dolph

Hello songbird68 and Donna
Thanks for your comments.
Yes ovary removal was suggested by the oncologist...never even considered it to be honest.
Hope everything going okay with you both
Tk care
X

Donnaandfamily

Hi Dolph

I had ovaries removed via laprascopic procedure as the other said. This meant I could swap from Tamoxifen onto anastrazole which stops the the production of oestrogen in other cells.

The link between ovarian and breast cancer is strong so this has reduced that possibility too.

My oncologist recommended this. I also take calcium to protect my bones.

Regards

Donna

Sam_BCC

Hi Dolph

As well as the support and information you are recieving here you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can talk through yout concerns and questions with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

songbird68

Hi Dolph, sorry to hear of your recurrence.
I was age 44 at dx and had ooph & tubes out as part of my treatments

As far as ops go, it was very doable and recovery was quick. I had laproscopic surgery - three tiny incisions. I don't feel any worse for wear(fingers crossed!)
I think having shots means you keep your ovaries to protect your bones, but can still get the benefit of an AI.
Was ooph suggested by your onc?
take care and big hugs
x x
dolph

Recurrence and ovary removal

Hello ladies
Just wanted advice and to see if anyone was in my situation.
I am soon to be 37 years of age. Had breast cancer x3 times.
Just had wide local excision, have now started on Zoladex and anastrazole.
However, what do you think about ovary removal.....this was a suggestion.
Look forward to hearing from you
Thank you
😄