Recurrent breast cancer

Hi,

I am new to this site.

In September 2007 I was diagnosed with recurrent breast cancer in the right axilla. All body and bone scans were clear. This is the 4th time that I have been treated. I was originally diagnosed in 1997 with DCIS in the left breast (age 31) and had a mastectomy; in 1999 I had a chest wall recurrence in the scar tissue and in 2001 I was diagnosed with one malignant lymph node in the right axilla and had another mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. This time around I have been told that I am HER2 positive. I have completed my chemo - Taxotere with Herceptin and will continue with Herceptin for 1 year. My surgeon has completely removed the residual tumour from the axilla and removed a further 15 nodes, of which 7 were positive.

I have always been very positive throughout my years of treatment, but I am really struggling this time around. I just feel completely devastated and feel that I am running of out chances to be OK. Has anybody else had any regional recurrences?

Jeanie.

Dear Jeanie

I’m sorry you are having a difficult time at the moment, I thought you may Breast Cancer Care’s peer support service of interest. Our peer supporters are from diverse backgrounds and ages and have experienced different types of breast cancer and treatments. They are ready to listen, offer skilled emotional support and share their experiences and understanding. For more information about this and our other support services available to you please telephone our helpline on 0808 800 6000 or email: <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>. You are welcome to call the helpline for further information and support regarding the specific concerns that you have at the moment.

Best wishes
Katie

Dear Jeanie

It is very hard to get information on regional recurrences…I know because I have one.

In my case my cancer recurred 3 and a half years after treatment; the recurrence is in my chest wall and supraclavicular lymph nodes. I was unable to have surgery because I have too much tumour or radiotherapy as I’ve had it before so for the last 10 months I have been on chemotherapy…first xeloda and vinorilbine and now carboplatin and gemzar.

At my last CT scan in December I had no evidence of spread in my major organs and thats what I’m still hoping for at my next scan in a few weeks. Lumps are still apparent in my neck, but they seem to be stable.

Regional recurrences in general have a poorer prognosis than local recurrences and are more likely to suggest that metastatic disaese is inevitable sooner of later. In my case I have been told that my recurrence is not curable but am hoping for management as long as possible. I have triple negative disaese and very few treatment options left.

Everyone’s cancer is a bit different. Have you talked to your oncologist about your prognosis and what is expected to happen? Herceptin could well be the drug which will control your cancer for years. Its good that all your tumour has been removed. A friend of mine who had a regional recurrence six years ago has had no problems since.

I find the experience of having regional recurrence very isolating…I feel like I’m in no one’s ‘club’ and the information and support is just not available

very best wishes

Jane

Hi Jeanie,

I think I know where you are at - having had so many new tumours, local recurrence then regional recurrence. You certainly reach a point when you wonder how much more you can take. My original dx was in 1990 followed 5 years later by another new tumour in same breast, then 6 months later with local recurrence in the skin around the mastectomy site. Then another large tumour in the other breast and axilla 2 years later, and followed yet again by regional recurrence. This got a bit complicated and gets technical - involving the mediastinal structures of the right cervical chain and the brachial plexus plus lympadenopathy in the supraclavicular area. Not sure what all that means but was was evident to me was difficult and pain with my right shoulder, and some very large lumps up to 3cm in around my collarbone and jawline. The drugs were very effective in controlling this but it would keep returning until they tested my HER2 status (back in 2002). I was found to be HER2 +3 and that was where herceptin came into the equation. I had a very instant response and havent had any problems since. I have also got extensive bone mets but the bisphosphonate drugs and herceptin seem to be keeping everything very stable. I hope that your response to the taxotere and herceptin will be good - I know the taxotere is tough but the herceptin is very tolerable and having been on it for over 4 years now I am not aware of any side effects.

Dawnhc
xxx