Recurrent cellulitis or something else?

So, my journey to now has been a very long one. Beginning this time last year after discovering changes in size to the left breast and a persistent blood stained discharge. To cut a long story short, surgery was performed in aim to remove all the ducts, the site healed well but from January onwards I have had recurrent bouts of cellulitis of the left breast and in total have taken 11 courses of oral antibiotics and 28 days of iv antibiotics. The cellulitis settles for periods before returning. Approx three weeks ago, again the cellulitis appeared, my left breast incredibly painful, swollen and red. Antibiotics commenced like usual, failed to respond so a short course of ivs before returning to orals. However this time, on the last day of ivs a blister appeared, maybe 3cm in size. By late the same evening it had burst leaving a raw area. I asked to be reviewed again and the nurse managed to dress the wound. We are now a week down the line and have four open sloughy wounds th no sensation to these parts. They have now been measured (5x7cm, 5x3 and two at 3x1cm,) and dressed with iodine. I’m incredibly concerned that these are going to scar especially as one is covering the nipple itself. At what point is someone going to step in and help me out!!?? I’ve already been discharged from the breast unit and I’m reluctant to go back after a poor experience. The skin continues to break down and I’m beginning to feel pretty unwell alongside it. Swabs were taken yesterday and within a few hours my go practice called to say the dr is requesting to see me, is this normal practice so soon after swabs being sent?

Hi Hannah,

Sorry to hear you’re going through all of this, not pleasant at all. 

It’s good that your gp appears to be on the ball & is requesting to see you, so maybe try not to read anything into it, but rather see it as an opportunity to address the problem. 

It might also be an idea to post on ‘ask our nurses’ as well.

Do hope you get this resolved soon.

ann x