Recurring Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Hello, In late 2010 I was diagnosed with stage 1 grade 1 Invasive ductal carsinoma. I had localized radiation. In 2016 I was diagnosed again with IDC this time grade 1 stage 2 in the same breast.My Dr’s do not believe it is from the same tumor. I did full breast radiation this time around. No lymphnode involved either time. My question is, how likely can this possibly spread to other parts of my body if no lymphnodes were involved. I am having a petscan after having upper middle back pain for 6 months now. Motrin 800 does not take the dull pain away and the chiropractor does not seem to be helping either. Thank you so much in advance. :slight_smile:

Was not sure where to post. You might see my post twice.

Hi Shandie

Sorry to hear you are worrying about your BC spreading/has spread - it’s something that most primary ladies worry about especially when you develop aches and pains that don’t seem to go away.  A PET scan (or any other scan such as MRI, CT or bone) should show up areas that cause concern to the radiographer and/or oncologist, further tests would then normally be done to confirm whether it is bone mets (you mention back pain so I’m assuming your concern would be bone mets).  However scans can also show up areas of degeneration caused by osteoporosis for example which is why further tests may be needed.  As to whether BC can spread when there is no lymph involvement the answer is yes, it can spread through the blood system not just the lymphatic system.

It is difficult not to worry but I would say that try not to - much easier said than done!  Good luck with the scan, and results, and fingers crossed it turns out to be normal wear and tear.

Nicky x