Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red hot - and sore!

12 REPLIES 12
KatyD

Re: Red hot - and sore!

Hi
Sorry to hear you are having a miserable time. I too am fair skinned and burnt and blistered after radiotherapy. The hospital gave me an something called nu-gel which worked. I also used aloe vera which they also recommended but I kept it in the fridge so it was cold!
Do hope you get some relief soon.
Love KatyD

Nonny

I burnt quite badly, and on my weekly skin check I was given ointment with silver in as well as special dressings which I was told to put in the fridge before using. I also bought a 'Chillow' pillow which was wonderful. Cabbage leaves from the fridge and put on the boob also take some of the heat out. I shed bits of black skin for about three weeks after rads had finished! A bit embarrassing as I was staying with my sister and brother-in-law at the time and no matter how careful I was, had to sweep the bathroom floor after showering!

LOL and all the best
Nonny

Nonny

I burnt quite badly, and on my weekly skin check I was given ointment with silver in as well as special dressings which I was told to put in the fridge before using. I also bought a 'Chillow' pillow which was wonderful. Cabbage leaves from the fridge and put on the boob also take some of the heat out. I shed bits of black skin for about three weeks after rads had finished! A bit embarrassing as I was staying with my sister and brother-in-law at the time and no matter how careful I was, had to sweep the bathroom floor after showering!

LOL and all the best
Nonny

mummysboob

i know there has been conflicting advice about bio oil on various threads but once my burns had healed to the "dry stage" it worked for me and really minimised wle and snb scars too. best of luck to all alex xx

emmbee

Hi Sue,

There was an article in the Mail this week about Aqueous cream saying that the cleansing part of it is too harsh and very drying. Try patting a thin layer of Aloe on and letting it dry before you get dressed. Keep it in the fridge so it's nice and cold when you use it. Any broken skin now needs special dressings which you should be able to get from your GP.

Hope you soon feel better.

E

Projectwoman

Thank you everyone for the advice and hugs, much needed and appreciated! 🙂

I will see what the radiotherapy nurse advises at the hospital tomorrow, but I like the sound of trying manuka honey - seemed to work well for some of the problems during chemo.

Sue xx

Mary_grace

Hi PW,

There is hydrocortisone cream (can be bought over the counter but I was given some by my BCN) great for itching and soreness from rads. THey said don't use it on broken skin for which they give you dressings which are called something like Mepilex or something? They use them as burns dressings but they are good for rads burns too. Don't suffer they were desperate to give me these things even though I wasn't too bad. Ask your BCN or one of the rads nurses and they can sort it for you xx

Ninja

EWWW that sounds sore.
Gentle hugs.

Slendablenda

OOOH Projectwoman, poor you. I also have skin that burns easily, wouldn't be surprised if I react like you - deep joy.
Hope you get some relief soon. x

Crabbit

Hi Sue, it sounds really sore!

I think you've been given good advice already. I have 3 more sessions to go of 20 and my RADS dept have not let me put anything on it yet. It was very sore last week but they said to persevere because the skin was pink, but wounds good. So I have had no aqueous cream or anything but this week my skin is not nearly as sore.
I know it might peel over next couple of weeks but i wonder how much it's helped mine not putting lots of stuff on it? Not that I wouldn't have if they'd let me lol.

Someone mentioned coconut oil. I have seen it in glass jars in H and B's if you think it's worth giving something else a go?

I hope it heals up soon. Horrible for you.

Carolyn x

mummysboob

hi sue, ifinished 20 rads and 5 boosts in july. was very sore toward the end and skin under arm and under boob did peel and weep after i had finished. didnt go back to hosp cos i had enough of them!! put manuka honey on the weepy bits. messy but stick a cheap vest top on u dont mind throwing away. my nipple too went black and sore. about 2 days later skin peeled off naturally(bit like a snake) didnt rub at. was vary sensitive for a couple of weeks but all healed up ok. i have to look really closely now to see the rads area. am moisturising daily now as skin is drier on that side but with what i want to use, not the nasty aqueous cos i never want to see that stuff again! hoping u are better soon but do ask at hosp if u are still having treatment. love alex xxx

KatieF

So sorry you're suffering Sue.

I suggest you see your BCN or the radiotherapy nurse. I burnt quite badly and had dressings from my BCN that were manuka honey dressings.

Hope you get some relief soon

Good luck x

Projectwoman

Red hot - and sore!

Hi everyone,

Most people seem to have sailed through rads without any problems, and as I have skin that is not prone to sunburn, and have been sticking rigidly to the rules - simple soap, pat dry, plenty of aqueous cream several times a day, I expected this to be totally uneventfull too! But as you can see from the title of this thread, that is not the case, and I am very sore under the arm, under my boob, where some of the skin came away last night, and my nipple, which is black with raw red bits, and twice the normal size.
I have been trying Aloe Vera gel in addition to the cream over the last day or so, but doesn't seem to be helping much. Last session of normal rads is tomorrow, then boosters next week - any ideas anyone?

thanks, Sue x