69161members
363172posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction and uplift any commments please ?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Reduction and uplift any commments please ?

Hi Woodlandmanor,

Could I suggest you give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with the staff, I'm sure they'll be able help put your mind at ease about your surgery and give you some much needed support. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Highlighted

Hi Woodlandmanor, I am in the same predicament as you, although I am not quite as large as you (44DD). I had Mx in Sept last year and am so uncomfortable , I can only wear a bra for a few hours , it's really getting me down. My Onc has suggested a reduction and I see the Surgeon on 18th July, I just don't know what to do at the moment, I don't fancy surgery again but I feel it's the only way my quality of life can improve. I would welcome advise too.

Highlighted

Hello all I am in a dilemma, I had a mx in May 2010 and no surgery on good side. i am a 36 HH cup and my surgeon has offered me a reduction and uplift. I am having to wear a huge prosthesis and am unfomfortable with the lop sided effects. I have a lot of discomfort in my mx side which I am sure is because of the lop sidedness and carrying around the heavy prosthesis. I am really nervous about having the surgery, maybe just nervous of more surgery and the feeling of don't mess about with it. I am scared that if there is anything in that breast it could be unleashed by the surgery. Had a recent clear check and mammogram so all looks ok but I had lobular cancer so a bit doubtful about the mammo as it didn't show on that the first time. I don't know if this can happen. I don't know what to do. I know I will be more comfortable and being so lopsided can't be good for me but..... oh gawd! I have cancelled the op once and I now have a new date for a months time. What a muddle, mind games seem endless don't they - advice will be very gratefully received. xxxx

Highlighted

Thanks J
That's kind of you.
I'm glad you're cosmetic outcome was so good. It is simply amazing what our wonderful surgeons can achieve these days.
I hope they know how much we appreciate their talent and dedication. My PS is fab. I have a tissue expander as I didn't get on with the original fixed implant but the end result is still very natural.
That said, I don't think I'll bother going topless either - although I think some alluring new swimwear is called for once the soreness wears off!
all the best
Lou
x

Highlighted

I was daignosed in August 2010 and my surgery consisted of lumpectomy, reduction and nipple moved on good breast and nipple moved on affected breast. Very good cosmetic outcome and so far so good! I have some scar tissue on affected breast (not visible) which makes the breast uncomfortable at times, though little to complain about compared to those experiencing radical mastectomy. I certainly have been very fortunate with the cosmetic look - I would go topless if I was 20 years younger! On second thoughts I probably wouldn't, didn't do it before so would be unlikely to start! Anyhow, on a serious note I wish you well on your surgery and good health thereafter. J.

Highlighted

Thanks Pam
That's most reassuring.
I'm sure you're right. I need to be more patient.
Well done on returning to Pilates classes. That's great
I'm missing going swimming but the wait will be well worth it in the end.

Lou
xx

Highlighted

Hi Lou.
I had the same op as you just under six weeks ago. I too was suprised just how sore the uplift and reduction was. I wouldn't say it was painful just sore, mainly for me on the outside half of the breast. Mine was also severely bruised, real black and blue! My wound has healed very well. I did drive after a week. Over time the soreness lessened and would only be in the evenings (probably when I had done too much). Today I went back to my Pilates class and was able to join in all the exercises again.
As far as the op is concerned I am delighted with the result.
Wishing you a good recovery, just give it time.
Pam x

Highlighted

Hi everyone
I had a reduction and uplift of my 'good' breast three weeks ago and am very pleased with the results. I was very asymmetrical after my LD flap recon in May 2011 and was at least two cup sizes different so it's great to have boobs that are sitting next to each other again! Pert at 50.
My recovery is going well but the reduction was more involved than I'd anticipated and that breast is still very sore - although the scars are healing nicely. I keep reading online about reduction patients going back to work 7 to 10 days after surgery and driving after a week. That might be the case for some but just the thought of strapping a seatbelt across my chest makes my eyes water. I work from home and can't seem to must much motivation so keep extending the deadline for a full return...
Is it normal to feel this sore after a reduction and how long should recovery take? I know everyone is different but I had expected to be working, driving etc after two weeks. I'm 49 and in otherwise good health but have undergone quite a lot of surgery in the past 13 months so maybe I just need a rest.
Any thoughts or feedback woudl be most welcome.
I had a nipple recon at the same time which was made from my breast skin. I've only managed to get a glimpse during dressings changes but it seems to be a convincing match for the real one.

All the best

Lou
xx

Highlighted

Ladies thanks so much for your positive comments. It really has helped enormously.I got a copy of the PS letter and it comes across more strongly than it did in the consultation re the potential for poor healing and poss infection. ( due to rads)
Despite all that I am feeling that I will go ahead. My appt to return is in 2 weeks. I also had a chat with mt BCN and as always she helped me get my thoughts into perspective.
Thank you all so much. Hope all of you are doing OK Hugs xxx

Highlighted

Hi I was diagnosed in November 2011. My surgeon suggested therapeutic mammoplasty as I was rather large busted. he said he could remove the tumour in my left breast and reduce the 'good side ' by the same. i opted for this and am very happy with the result. I do have scaring around the nipple (as they were moved and repositioned) and then down from there and underneath like 2 smiles. This is fadding very rapidly. I still get some pain in both breasts but this is down to it settling down.. Not sure about a lymphodema isssue, sorry
good luck with your decision Gill x

Highlighted

Hi

I had a 35mm lump removed on 16 jan this year. As the opportunity arose my surgeon suggested she do a therapeutic mammoplasty at the same time. I had this done and am very pleased with the results, the only down side is there is still little feeling in the nipple area, which like your surgeon suggests was moved, it's left a scar running under the breast and down from the nipple. Other than that it's very neat, and at my age of 48 nice to have one pert boob at least. I am now nearing the end of chemo with only 2 sessions to go then radio. I saw my surgeon a few weeks ago and told her I will leave it another year before having the other one done, again like you for aesthetics and peace of mind, because at times I do feel it's noticeable, but that's probably me and the psychological games this disease plays with us. My surgeon also said per op that if anything needed tweaking on the bad side she would do it then so it looks as if this is standard procedure. Hope this helps with your decision, I know it's hard but I am already beginning to think beyond all of this and moving toward the decision of having it done.

Carolyn

Highlighted

Hi libby i have just had a theraputic mammoplsty after being DX recently for the second time (opposite breast) this involves a reduction and uplift where they also had to remove and reposition the nipple , its early days for me yet as i only had surgery 2 weeks ago, but i have to say am very pleased with the reults so far, i will be haveing my other breast (first BC side where i had a previous WLE) reduced and uplifted to get symetry when all my treatments are finished .Ive gone from an E cup breast to a C Cup but thats beacuse they had to remove the tumour and get clear margins so am a bit lopsided at the moment but am wearing a softie to pad out my bra for now untill i can get the otherside done. Just wanted to let you know am very happy i went for the reduction and uplift.
Not sure if this helps you, but if you want any more info you can always Pm me ,be happy to help if i can .
Best Wishes Linda x
Highlighted

Bump
Has no-one had this done?

Highlighted

Reduction and uplift any commments please ?

After a very generous WLE ( May 2010) and a further WLE ( June 2010) for better margins - successful I had rads - had neo adjuvant chemo to shrink the lump (4.2 cms)apparently unsuccessfully then surgery - type - was to be decided. Now feeling physically and emotionally well I feel the asymmetry is so obvious.And can consider something to help.
Last week I had an appt with PS to discuss what can be done. He was very positive that he could reduce and uplift the 'good' side and then threw me by saying that the affected side would need to be uplifted too and that he might even move the nipple too ( it points SW) I had not anticipated this.
Has anyone had this or what other questions do I need to ask when I see him next?He sent me away to consider for 4-6 wks and within 3 days an appt arrived for 4 weeks.
Is there a lymphoedema issue involved? I had ANC at 1st WLE.
Any comments? Thanks J xx