Reduction and uplift of 'normal' breast

Hi there,
I am just out of hospital after having my normal breast (hate calling it that!) uplifted and reduced. I forgot to ask the medics if I need to sleep on my back for a while. I had do to this for several weeks after my mx and recon last October. Can anyone advise? Thanks, Ann

Hi Ann,
I had this procedure in Feb of this year and I slept on my back for about a week, using a V pillow as it felt more comfy (my arm was unexpectedly sore and I was told not to stretch it or lift anything heavy with it for a few weeks). After that it was back to normal as far as sleeping on my side, though I tended to sleep on the recon side until the wounds had healed fully…

Hope you have a good result and manage to get some sleep!

I dread sleeping on my back but had to in hospital for a bit as it were so sore. Now 3 years after mastectomy 2 years after reconstruction I still find it difficult but have to alternate both sides considering I do not have much feeling on reconstruction side I cannot lie on it for long I sometimes put support pillow under my leg whcih helps take pressure of

Hi Ann,
I had this op 6 weeks ago and had to sleep on my back -not a normal sleeping position for me - or the other side for about 3 weeks, and like Revcat I used a V pillow. Now I’m back to ‘normal’ but still a bit sore. Hope you manage to get some sleep. As you can tell by the time I’m posting this, I have insomnia!
Caroline

Thanks ladies, it’s as expected - on my back AGAIN, feeling like a stranded Turtle. Lol. Thought it best to ask though. Got some sleep - up at 4am making tea and toast, but did get back at six for another hour. Talking about sore arms (RevCat) - I have woken up with aching, weak arms ever since mx. Any idea why? Something else I keep forgetting to ask about. Sorry you are not sleeping well Caroline. Hope things improve.

Might just be answering my own question here. I am lying here reading through various topics and lo and behold, there is one about aches and pains due to Letrozole! Why did I never even consider this? I am such a twit at times. So what now - just persevere, because I am coping at the moment, or do I some one know its happening. If so, who? Consultant or GP

Hi again, Ann,

Early morning stiffness, acheyness and joint pain do seem to be common with drugs that ER+ ladies take (I am the queen of Tamoxifen joint pain I think). After my mx and recon I had some soreness where the lymph nodes had been taken out but that wore off quickly. After the uplift I think it was a mixture of whatever they’d done with arm whilst I was under anaesthetic and the fact that everything had been tugged inwards a bit. It was never bad enough to need more than ibuprofen and soon disappeared.

Do speak to your BCN or PS team with any queries - that’s what they are there for!

Hi RevCat
I’ve just had my mx and reconstruction and have been offered a lift to the other side some way along the line. Thighadora (the TUG flap reconstruction) certainly sits high compared to Brunhilda, (the well excercised breast that fed 4 children, including twins ). I’m trying to explain extent of the droop!| While it’s very reassuring to know that a lift may be possible, I understand that this procedure will involve cutting around the areolar and don’t want to lose sensation in the remaining nipple.
Do you mind saying whether you’ve had any loss of sensation, and if so how long for?
I do hope the hormone therapy side effects ease off with time. I have no experience of it yet.
Take care

Hi Ad Astra, I was asked this on another thread too! My re-sited nipple is completely normal in every way. It was a bit hypre-sensitive for a few weeks (permenantly erect and sore) and then settled down. Now it is as if nothing had changed… minimal scars and a bit of turning back the clock as far as gravity is concerned :D. Hope that helps.