Referral to Breast Clinic

Hello. I am 24 years old and 2 weeks ago I had itchiness on my nipple suddenly out of the blue. It was so severe my first thought was “maybe I’m pregnant” I took three tests and all negative. The itchiness eventually subsided and then a few days ago I just casually out of the blue noticed a lump in my left breast. It’s not small, it’s not circular, it’s like hard around the top of my nipple and then from just under my armpit down to my nipple down the left, it’s quite a large, long (not circle or square, just long) lump, it feels like hard tissue its hard to explain. It’s not a small lump, its not a ball or a circular lump. Its nothing like I’d expect with breast cancer, it’s like a hard tissue long lump. I also have tiny bit of dry skin to the left of my breast, nothing major just a flake of dry skin. I wish I could explain the lump to hear if anyone else has had similar, all I can explain is it feels like tissue, moves a little bit when I push on it. Feels like hard, swollen, lumpy tissue. I went to the doctors as soon as I noticed it, it was painless, completely painless at first. The doctor checked both my breasts and he said my left breast (where this apparent lump is) was swollen down the side of the lump and he could see the swelling slightly on that side when he looked at them both symetrically. He then checked and he straight away found the lump, he said this is it isn’t it, and I replied yes, he never said much about how it felt and the fact its not the usual pea sized lumps or circular lumps that don’t move people complain about when they have a lump. He asked if i’d had any more symptoms and I explained I’d had itchiness for a few days 2 weeks ago and it went away, I did have itchiness again the other day but it never lasts long. Just irritating. The doctor checked all my glands under my arm pit, throat, and said my lymph nodes aren’t swollen, at first I thought maybe it was lymph nodes in my breast swollen and coming from my armpit, maybe an infection. He then said he was referring me straight away to the breast clinic. My appointment is the 24th of October. I cried when I left because I have anxiety issues and a phobia of being sick, so cancer is one of the worse things that could happen to me, I know it is rare for it to be cancer but I can’t help worrying about it and this is going to be the longest two weeks of my life. Since the examination I have kept check of the lump, its still exactly the same apart from now its quite painful now too. I have spoken to a couple of friends and my Mum about all of this, one of my friends and my Mum are being very supportive and understand my worries, I never realised how scary a cancer scare was till it happened to me even if it turns out to be nothing but I have one friend whose really irritating me. She’s making me feel stupid for worrying. She says its a cyst, cancer has to be pea sized and circular and making me feel like I am wasting everyones time. I was hoping the doctor would dismiss it as an infection or tissue but he was adamant it needed checked and it was a lump. He was also adamant that he could see a change in my left breast, it looks swollen and fuller. I am frightened and I just need somewhere to express my feelings with people who might understand and I am questioning if I have any right to go to a breast clinic with type of lump I have if according to my friend its impossible for it to be breast cancer because it isn’t small, pea sized or circular so according to her it HAS to be a cyst. And its all in my head, she’s making me feel shamed for being worried. I have taken time off work because I am worried, my Auntie had breast cancer the same age as me and cancer runs in both sides of the family though usually when people hit their 40’s-50’s a lot of deaths in both sides have been due to cancer. Has anyone here had a similar lump to what I am explaining? What can I expect on the day of the breast cancer clinic? Seriously cancer would just be about the worse thing to happen to me when I am so deathly afraid of sickness. The fear of treatment is horrendous. 

Hello JustSomeoneElse, 

I’m sorry you are so worried and fearful. I understand how you feel, as will everyone on here, and you did the right thing to come here for support. Your friend is not being supportive to you and as she is not a doctor she has no right to tell you these things. If you need to talk to someone who knows what you are going through then ring the helpline on this site. They are so lovely and will listen to your fears and advise you. You are certainly not wasting anyone’s time - everyone is entitled to visit their doctor or other health professional and should never feel guilty about it.  I know how scared you are but there’s a very good chance you will be fine. Try not to let your mind run away with you and take comfort from your family and others on here.  Wishing you the best of luck and take care.  xx Lily

Hey

I am sorry to hear of your worries, and although I cannot offer any advice on what it is, I just wanted to say you are absolutely doing the right thing getting it checked out.  If not, why would a doctor bother hey? If he thought it needed checking then it does.  It’s ok to think it is probably a cyst, but if we all went around guessing, imagine what good that would be!!?  Your friend is probably finding it hard to think about or can’t manage her own anxiety well. 

The sickness part I am guessing you are worried you would have chemo and relate that to sickness.  They give anti sickness drugs now, which I heard work really well, so try not to worry about that.  One step at a time.  I know its scary, but try to remind yourself that they need to refer you make sure it’s nothing because until it is looked at properly they cannot be 100 per cent sure.  They are being thorough which is good.  If it turns out to be a cyst, then if it happened again, you would at least know the symptoms, but it should always be checked.

I am newly diagnosed with breast cancer, and what you describe does not sound like cancer to me- but I do not know every symptom so just like a GP, would like to think you went to make sure.

They say 80% of lumps are not cancerous, so try keep your mind from running wild.  I know it is difficult.

Keep busy,and let us know how you get on.  I have a feeling all will be well.  Hugs xx

Thank you. I have now found swelling under my armpit that was not there at the doctors the other day. I am concerned. I don’t like the fact I am waiting 2 weeks when it seems to be changing. 

They’ve booked me in for a more urgent appointment now on the 17th of October, 4 more days and hopefully my mind will be put at ease and I won’t find out worse. What happens at the Breast Clinic? 

Thank you ann. 

I have read sometimes mammograms don’t show everything up and ultrasound is better? Can i request that if they say mammogram is clear, i just want to be sure. The lump is very hard, and i realised it doesn’t move at all, it was the tissue around it moving, i stretched my breast and realised it was stable and didn’t move, it goes from painful to painless. It just came out of nowhere, its huge, its scary for me. I really hope I get good news on Monday… I really do. I didn’t realise how much a cancer scare could affect you and never thought I’d have a cancer scare in my life… I think I live a life of invincibility until something like this happens and you realise even if its not… it could be you one day. Fingers crossed for good news and I’ll keep you all updated. just want Monday to come fast and to get it all over with!! 

Hi thank you. I am sorry to hear you were diagnosed. i will keep you all updated. I have been terrible with google. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to be actually diagnosed with cancer as this last week has been hell for me and even though its only 3 more days till hospital, it doesn’t feel its coming quick enough, hopefully it’ll be a positive result! Thank you xx