Referred by GP and Very Worried

Hi All,

My name is Helen and I am 38 years old. I am hoping that you can give me some advice if that’s ok?

Last week I was seen by my GP as I found something under my arm which I was concerned about. It isnt a lump as such but feels different to the other side almost thicker in one particular area. 

My GP did a full examination of both breasts and has found small lumps in both breast which he doesnt think are cysts. 

I appreciate that is may very well be nothing but for a normally very calm and considered GP he seemed very panicked and was on the phone to the hospital before I had even got of the bed, which has obvioulsy worried me. 

I have had a nagging ache under my arm and into my shoulder blade for a while now and put it down to being a busy working mum with a fast paced life, but now I am also concerned about that too. 

I am a very calm pragmatic lady and factual information is key for me, I am know 6 days in and range from scared, worried, thinking the worst to being annoyed with myself for even thinking these things when the likely hood its nothing to worry about. 

any info or advice at this frustrating time would be really appreicated. 

Helen

Hi Helen

If this is your first post on the forum I’m guessing that you are going through an emotional turmoil and your imagination is doing all sorts!

Whilst I can’t comment on whether or not your symptoms will turn out to be a problem (and fingers crossed it isn’t serious) I would heartily recommend you embrace the wonderful ladies within the forum who are special at making anyone feel that they aren’t alone and even the bad news can be managed.

I tuned in a couple of weeks back around a post mammogram referrral and I was in that stage were you have been referred but you don’t actually know what may or may not be the problem - awful! And the most emotional period I’ve ever known. I also felt worse about my body during that time and was sure I could feel changes, aches and differences - even though I would be trying to tell myself that a week before none of this would have worried me! I think this is only natural and I would urge you to try and not (for the next little while only) listen to your body too intently.

I was lucky (and there are many in this category) that my problem turned out to be relatively small and not the raging cancer I had imagined for myself. And I dearly hope the same turns out to be the case for you too. The breast care nurses that you will get to meet very soon were/are fantastic and have helped so many of us get through whatever lies ahead.

In the meantime keep busy, enjoy any sunny day and the blue sky, if we get one, and be encouraged that this forum is here for you and the NHS support is there for you (despite what you may hear on the news). I will be thinking of you over the next weeks but for now a big (((((( virtual hug  ))))))).

KR

Susan

Your GP seems to be caring & thorough with your care! Which means you’re in capable hands!
Since you’re pragmatic & prefer factual info,
(I am the complete opposite btw), there are NUMEROUS solid nodules that are NOT cancers! It was so, in my case!! So, I can attest to that FACT!! Another fact: MOST breastfeeding abnormalities are b-9!! But I know all to well the emotionally draining saga!! I will tell you what I was told, repeatedly! Don’t go there until I was there! Looking back over the stress that not doing so caused me & my loves …
I wish I’d @ least tried to follow that advice! That’s what I hope for you!

TYPO:** breast abnormalities**