Referred to breast clinic after finding lump, scared

Hello, I’m new here…

I went to my GP last week after finding a lump and I’ve got an appointment at the breast clinic on Thursday. Seems fast to me but good I don’t have too long to wait I guess. I’m only 39 and know that there can be lots of causes of breast lumps, but it’s still scary. 

Apparently it’s a ‘one-stop’ clinic and that I could be there up to 3 hours. Does anyone know if I’ll find out what the lump is on that day? I haven’t got anyone who can go with me, so it’s going to be a pretty stressful time. 

Thanks for reading.

Hi butterfly_cake, welcome to the BCC forums

Whilst you await replies here you may find the following BCC information regarding a breast clinic appointment helpful:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-bcc70

Our helpliners are also on hand weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call to talk your concerns over

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi, I’m 34 and have got a lump also in my left breast…got my 1st appointment today at 11.00. My letter also says up to 3 hours, I am so nervous but I know it’s something I have to do. My husband is coming with me, are you taking someone with you? Xx

Hi

Sorry to hear your news. Usually they will take more mammograms, they will be looked at by a doctor and then he will decide if it needs to be looked at closer. If this is the case you will have an ultra sound scan and then depending on what he finds. Example if it is a cyst he will aspirate it. If he finds a lump he may take a biopsy. I have had both of these done after routine mammograms. These are done with a local anaesthetic and I didn’t really feel anything. I was there for just over an hour. You usually get an appointment for a week later to get the results. Hope it goes well for both of you and if you have any more questions please ask.

Angie. X

Hi, I have just had my 1st appointment had mammogram ultrasound and 3 biopsies…get my results Thursday x

Thanks very much for your post Angie and for the info. I hope everything works out ok for you.

I’ve never had a mammogram before, not looking forward to it, but know it’s important to be checked. Take care. Emily x

Hi Kerry,

Hope you’re ok after your appointment today. How long were you at the clinic? At least you don’t know have to wait too lomg for your results, though not easy waiting of course. Hope everything works out ok for you.

I’ll probably have to go alone to the clinic so not looking forward to it.

Take care, Emily x

Hi Emily,
I was in the clinic 3 hours from start to finish, wasn’t as bad as I thought just a little sore now.
Even though I took my husband he had to stay in waiting room so I had everything done alone.
I was surprised how quickly the results come back and I am feeling very positive.
Hope your appointment goes well, I know it’s easy to say but try not to over think things as it’s really not as bad as you imagine.
Take care xx

I’ve got my appointment at the breast clinc tomorrow and feeling pretty sick. I know it’s best to get things checked and that it may not be anything, but I’m dreading it. I’ve had lump for a few months. Stupid to have left it but at the time I first found it I was going through a relationship breakup and couldn’t cope with anything else.

Oh well, I guess I need to get the process started …

Hi Kerry,

Thanks very much for your reply. All the best for you getting your results.

Take care, Emily x

Hi Emily
Just hoping it goes well for you today. I will be thinking about you.
Angie. X

Hi Emily
That’s great news you can now get on with your life. Take care of yourself.
Angie. X