Regaining use of arm after surgery?

Hi. Had full laterax mx last week with a couple of nodes removed. The physio has given me the post op physio exercises to do but I’m just wondering how others have found it. How long was it before you could really get your arm right above your head etc? I’m concerned re not getting full use back. I know it’ll take a bit more than a week and I’m but prob being a bit impatient. I can raise my arm to just above sholder height now after a week.

hI mary

Its been 3 weeks since my op, and I am doing my exercises, but I still cant get my left arm above my head, it does take time, and i did phone my bc nurse today about this and she said it will take time, and to just keep perserving -

x

Hi Mary

You are doing good if you can raise your arm to above shoulder height after a week. Just keep using it - don’t do anything silly or push yourself too much but keep on doing the exercises.

I had a mastectomy last November and I used my arm as soon as I could. I think by January I had cracked it but just keep doing what you’re doing I feel sure you are on the right road. Like you “patience” is not one of my virtues! If I can have something I want it now!

Love

Lynda xx

Hi Mary

Just keep on with the exercises. It feels hard but do them. I still do them a year or so on and it helps so much. Even leaving them for a day still makes a bad difference. But I am told my “movement” is marvellous. I can still feel the difference but hey, if the professionals can’t then who cares.

Keep on going. It works.

Love

Dilys

Hi Mary,

i’m three weeks post surgery and i still can’t get my arm above my head. Some mornings i wake up and it seems more flexible than the day before,then the next day it goes backwards! BC nurse said that was normal as it’s the new tissue causing that,just get your sleep which is important to the healing process.

I’ve also had lots of strange sensations going on in the area. I must admit that when i was first told you’d be on 6wks sick i though that was a bit excessive,now i think it might not be enough!

Take care Tracey

Thanks so much. I’m feeling a little more reassured now. Was worried I wasn’t progressing enough. I really want to go back to my old job in time and I will require full movement but am not expecting to take up that role for a good year or so. Will be patient. x x

Hi all

You may find this leaflet from BCC containing advice and information about exercises following surgery useful to read:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/bcc_exercises06_web_0.pdf

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi
Some areas have hydrotherapy sessions for post breast surgery to improve the range of shoulder movement etc - run by qualified female physios and purely for BC sufferers. Try asking your local BC nurse, or ask at the local hospital if they have a hydro pool.

Angela

Hi everyone, you might find some info off a previous thread of some use.

breastcancercare.org.uk/bcc-forum/discussion/19605/

See what you think and keep stretching, eight months on and I still am, but you will get there.

M x