1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing remaining breast

Lynnq

Re: Removing remaining breast

I also have had my 'Other' breast removed.

When i had a Rmx they did a reduction on my left side only to discover cancer in that one......which had NOT shown on the MRI scan.!!!

I have secondaries which they discovered after this. I had to persuade the medical team. Surgeon said it was a futile operation since the cancer had spread.....oncologist supported me and eventually i had other breast removed about six months later.......no reconstruction and no regrets.....

I am on letrozole which appears to be holding things for now... I did not see a psychologist but one was present at one of my consultations but she did not contribute, apart from being introduced by the BCN?....l just wanted it gone and am so pleased that they agreed to it in the end...
southpool

I had a right Mx on 1st Nov, 18 months after my original left Mx. Before surgery I had to see the psychologist to check I had thought my decision through. The surgery was much easier than 1st time round as there was no need for ANC & I knew what to expect. The path report was clear & the scars are very symmetrical so look fine. It is liberating not having to wear a bra & 3 weeks after surgery I was dancing at my 50th birthday looking fab breast free in a Vivienne Westwood dress. I am so glad I took the decision.

S x

songbird68

Hi I also need peace of mind and I know CPM will give me this. I am seeing my PS on weds and will discuss with him then. My reasoning is similar to everyone elses here. and I have recently had a scare (all clear thankfully).

I know it wont improve my Overall survival if the cancer they treated already has spread. I am working on the fact it hasnt(!). The worry is if I got breast cancer again it might not be so early stage and would be harder to treat etc, worse prognosis, I would be older and less fit and able to recover from surgery.

Also the yearly surveillance on the remaining breast would be emotionally damaging and stop me being able to move on with life.

Thanks for listening, I just wanted to add my support to this subject and you other ladies that are unfortunately going through this.

Actually, truth be told I'd rather have my natural breasts just as they were before this disease, and I'm sure we all feel that too.

Has anyone gone through with this? How did it turn out? I read on another forum that you have to see a clinical psychologist too, to help with the decision process or something?

Guest user
Not applicable

I am determined to have the other off!  Not because of risk really but after a recent scare it would add to peace of mind.

I dont want recon.  I hate the prothesis.  I just want symmetry - and to have the crisis side sorted as it is not smooth! 

It is great to hear others feel the same.

Blue_topaz

PS - Caroline  if it is ok I will pm you, when I have sussed out how to.   Think all this has affected my brain - took me a while to get on the forums.  xx

Blue_topaz

Thanks for your replies everyone.  It's hard to believe  there are so many women with cancer, something I hoped would never happen to me, but hey ho  here I am.

My lump was 50mm 1/2 node positive, although the consultant say some discrepancies in the report after my SNB and wants them tested again.  To be on the safe side I had complete axillary clearance.  

I am definitely going to have my other breast removed, mainly because of the type of cancer I have. I have thought of reconstruction, but not quite sure until I know what it fully entails.  Think if I did have reconstruction, I would look more even so to speak.

x D

Caroline60

Hi There I have just finished chem and rads. I also had lobular carsanoma with LCIS and DCIS  in right breast, had a mastectomy and implant. I am going to have my left breast taken off with recon for the same reason as you.

I am also having herceptin - so need to get advice on when I can have surgery. 

Good luck with the treatment. 

PM me if you need to talk. 

Caroline xxxx

danielafederic

I will as soon as the surgeon says I can. My lobular cancer was stage 1, but I was determined to have both the affected and the healthy breast removed and reconstructed, both the surgeon and the oncologist said it was wise and safe to do so, 40% chance of recurrence in the healthy breast! Had my op ten days ago, today I drove myself to my follow up appointment. My reconstructed breast is numb, swollen, bruised, scars run through it in an oval shape, and I have a scar in my back. But I am happy! Also, my eyebrows returned luscious and full, as I finished chemo six weeks ago. Look ahead, chin up! It is hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. xx
southpool

I am due to have a risk reducing right Mx on 1st November. My cancer was occult and I found it under my arm. My lymph node was 4cm and 1 other node affected, after Mx only a small area of DCIS was found. As a result I am paranoid that there is undetected cancer in my right breast, hence my surgeon agreeing to surgery. I am also planning to live breast free.

S x

Moulton_Lady

Hello,
Yes I have. Please see my response earlier today to living breast free.
Kind regards, Chrissie
Cassowary

Hi D, i am scheduled to have the same next month. Due to the size of my remaining breast , some further surgery realistically is needed to. Even me up, so I have reached the same conclusion as you.
Blue_topaz

Removing remaining breast

Hi

Not sure whether to have started a new thread, but I couldn't find anything on other threads.

I have invasive lobular cancer - left breast had mastectomy, nodes removed. Starting chemo soon.  Had MRI scan as lobular cancer can occur in the other breast. This was clear.  However, I am thinking of having the healthy breast removed after I have finished treatment.  I know I don't need to and my partner thinks I am crazy, but to me it would give a better chance of the cancer not returning. The consultant I see, said he would do this if I still wanted it. I know it is another big op, but isn't it better to be safe than sorry.  Lobular cancer doesn't always show on mammograms, so concerned it may return without signs.

Has anyone else done this? 

xxD