Hi I also need peace of mind and I know CPM will give me this. I am seeing my PS on weds and will discuss with him then. My reasoning is similar to everyone elses here. and I have recently had a scare (all clear thankfully).
I know it wont improve my Overall survival if the cancer they treated already has spread. I am working on the fact it hasnt(!). The worry is if I got breast cancer again it might not be so early stage and would be harder to treat etc, worse prognosis, I would be older and less fit and able to recover from surgery.
Also the yearly surveillance on the remaining breast would be emotionally damaging and stop me being able to move on with life.
Thanks for listening, I just wanted to add my support to this subject and you other ladies that are unfortunately going through this.
Actually, truth be told I'd rather have my natural breasts just as they were before this disease, and I'm sure we all feel that too.
Has anyone gone through with this? How did it turn out? I read on another forum that you have to see a clinical psychologist too, to help with the decision process or something?
I am determined to have the other off! Not because of risk really but after a recent scare it would add to peace of mind.
I dont want recon. I hate the prothesis. I just want symmetry - and to have the crisis side sorted as it is not smooth!
It is great to hear others feel the same.
PS - Caroline if it is ok I will pm you, when I have sussed out how to. Think all this has affected my brain - took me a while to get on the forums. xx
Thanks for your replies everyone. It's hard to believe there are so many women with cancer, something I hoped would never happen to me, but hey ho here I am.
My lump was 50mm 1/2 node positive, although the consultant say some discrepancies in the report after my SNB and wants them tested again. To be on the safe side I had complete axillary clearance.
I am definitely going to have my other breast removed, mainly because of the type of cancer I have. I have thought of reconstruction, but not quite sure until I know what it fully entails. Think if I did have reconstruction, I would look more even so to speak.
Hi There I have just finished chem and rads. I also had lobular carsanoma with LCIS and DCIS in right breast, had a mastectomy and implant. I am going to have my left breast taken off with recon for the same reason as you.
I am also having herceptin - so need to get advice on when I can have surgery.
Good luck with the treatment.
PM me if you need to talk.
Not sure whether to have started a new thread, but I couldn't find anything on other threads.
I have invasive lobular cancer - left breast had mastectomy, nodes removed. Starting chemo soon. Had MRI scan as lobular cancer can occur in the other breast. This was clear. However, I am thinking of having the healthy breast removed after I have finished treatment. I know I don't need to and my partner thinks I am crazy, but to me it would give a better chance of the cancer not returning. The consultant I see, said he would do this if I still wanted it. I know it is another big op, but isn't it better to be safe than sorry. Lobular cancer doesn't always show on mammograms, so concerned it may return without signs.
Has anyone else done this?