Removing the dressings to find....

Today was a bit bad. Removed dressings after my 2nd WLE.

After the first one, despite waiting 2 days past the time they advised I was really pleased. All looked normal-ish. Boob still boob shaped, nipple had discreet scar round the bottom of the areola.

This time, had a bit of a melt down. The big plaster was keeping everything together and the shape looked okay. Without it… Yes. I have no nipple. Just a scar with puckering at one end. And weird cubic breast.

Surgeon did say that he was trying to save skin in case I need a mastectomy after all (if no clear margins) and did say he could “tidy it up later”. I’m probably being a bit pathetic. It’s not the final thing. It will heal, scar inside,and the radiotherapy will affect it. Or I’ll be back for a mastectomy anyway… Just feeling sad for my lost nipple. And wondering where it is? Recycled? Incinerated? Lying in a bag of clinical waste somewhere…

Hi Maria

Sorry you’ve had a bad day. I’ve also had 2 WLEs and unfortunately they discovered more DCIS 2nd time. My surgeon thinks I should now go for a mx as I also had Grade 3 invasive but I’m wondering whether to go for a
3rd WLE. Added unknown is that I’m waiting
for the result of the BRCA gene test, as there’s a family history, so it could be a double mx. Got to wait 6 weeks for that result, hate the waiting. My boob also looks very odd now I still have my nipple etc but it looks a strange square shape. Just to inject s bit of humour, my OH asked where they put the nipple if you had a mx. I think he thought that they’d stick it on your back or something! He hadn’t thought it just went with everything else, poor chap, lol. Stay strong and take one day at a time, that’s all we can do really. Xx
Nd

You’re welcome! X

I haven’t any nipples at present,reckon mine are in a jar,along with my boobs and my old hips,have 2 hip replacements…After a mastectomy a few years ago,I had a nipple then developed Pagets,so had to have it removed.Took into work,some iced buns with cherries on them,then this time round,took iced tarts in to the clinic,with icing and a cherry on top.
We do have a sense of humour…take care,and you will get through it.I have had not the best time,with losing implants in the end…and ending up with a DIEP…tummy tuck with reconstruction…
Take care ,gentle hugs…

Ooh I love those iced buns with the cherry on top. I shall think of you when I next teat myself to some and my soon to be gone nipple. I reckon they will go the same place that all the odd socks disappear to and those things you put down and the next minute you can’t find them! Xx

Did you spot the very apt typo!! I meant treat not test! Laughing like a mad person now ??

Or??

Maria hi, I had WLE and nipple off end of march, and surgeon warned me it would be squared off at end…and she was right, felt so odd when done, but 2 mths later it doesn’t feel as square. Feel it settled a bit. And yup with bra on, no problems! Are you having nipple tattoo done?

Fizz sounds ace!! I think they are a bit more forward on this in Usa, but I emailed a couple of tattooist to see if they have covered scar lines and found a fab girl near me. I also, and I didn’t know if this makes sense would prefer to have experienced tattoo artist work on me regardless! BCN fab, surgeons lovely, but they can sort the medical crap, I’m going to an artist for the decoration ?