Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reoccurrence with reconstruction

12 REPLIES 12
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Reoccurrence with reconstruction

Hi all,

I am due to have an MX/recon next month following a diagnosis at the beginning of Dec of high grade DCIS 3cm (towards chest wall they said at mammogram recall but I don't know how close). I was unsure about a reconstruction to start with in case a recurrence couldn't be detected but am not happy about the alternative so am having a free tram flap. I can't have rads as I had a previous primary in same breast 12/13yrs ago.

How do they check for recurrence afterwards? Can you have a mammogram on recon in case there is anything near skin or chest wall or would it show up on an MRI scan (paid for privately I presume as NHS probably don't offer this).

Lemoncake
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Annie22 good luck with the rest of your treatment. I've had so many lumps in my reconstruction that the non-vain part of me will be glad to have it taken away. Am pretty certain there will be rads afterwards just not sure if chemo is on the agenda or not. Just finished 5 years of Tamoxifen so not sure what the next step is for me as I'm trouble being pre-menopausal

Me too. Mx in 2009, no chemo. Recurrence (or bit left behind, or new primary?) in reconstruction in June 2010, which GP kept saying couldn't be cancer - so didn't get it diagnosed until Oct 2010. I was told I would need to have the reconstruction removed.

Had 6 chemo sessions first which shrank the cancer sufficiently (20mm down to not visible to the eye), so although I'd prepared myself for the removal of the reconstruction, ended up with just a lumpectomy.

35rads and Herceptin (18 - nearly done) and Tamoxifen for next 5 years. I feel and know I am very lucky not to have lost the reconstruction

So glad that yours hasn't spread, Twinky, and sorry that anyone of us have had to go through this.

Annie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Twinky

It is very good news to hear that there has been no spread, you must be relieved and I imagine that the relief does something to alleviate the nightmare of having a recurrence in the first place...

My story is I had bilateral mx with implant recon in December 2010, and found a new lump sitting on top of the implant just under the skin in June of this year. So in August this year I had the new cancer removed as well as the implant on that side and as much skin as possible. I went on to have rads, which I did not have first time.

One thing to think about is the kind of hormone therapy you are on. I was on Tamoxifen but clearly it did not work so I am now on Zoladex to make me post menopausal plus Femara to shut down residual oestrogen production. I have put the question of a second recon on hold for now.

Very best wishes for the weeks ahead

C2010

Guest user
Not applicable

hi had local reccurrance in reconstruction four nodules they were removed plus quite alot of skin, silicone removed and silicone removed still have the flap in place, i did not need any more treatment, at present cancer free.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi just to let you all know, PET CT scan results showed that it hasn't spread(best Xmas present ever) so just got to deal with the local re-occurrence. Phew! MX will be 2nd week in Jan I think with no reconstruction at this point in time. Suspect radiotherapy will be on the cards as I didn't have this last time. Not sure yet about chemo. Had 5 years of Tamixifen (finished end of Sept). Was starting to get issues with thickened womb lining etc (had an op earlier this year). Body felt a bit hormone crazy since I finished! Not sure if I'll have to go through chemo again. Part of me wants to throw everything at it to make sure I get to see many more Christmases!
Twinkly x

Dear Twinky

In addition to the support you have here please feel free to call our helpliners, they can offer you further support and a listening ear during this difficult time on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open 9-5 Mon-Fri and 9-2 Saturday

Take care
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

hi i had a local reccurance, sept after one from the oringinal dx, had four nodules appear on my reconsruction, turned out some cells left from oringinal dx had them removed and my silicone, but no further treatment required. good luck x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi thanks for your responses & good wishes. News is sinking in and not waking up in the best of moods but still managing to sleep! Am praying that my PET CT scan will be clear and I'm just looking at sorting out a repeat of the first time. Obviously my biggest fear is that it might have spread. Will keep you updated. Need to be strong to help Hubby & my family cope. Not had children and was hoping to try next year. Knocking those thoughts on the head now, more important to just be here I think!

Hi twinky, sorry to hear that it's returned. I, too, had a recurrence (3 years post surgery) in my reconstruction. Strangely, it is a different grade, which has raised the question as to whether it is a recurrence at all but a new primary instead. I'm not sure it makes much difference though. I've had a lumpectomy-I have so far been able to retain the reconstruction, and have just recently finished 6 weeks of rads. I'm now on zoladex and letrozole, waiting for the results of a genetic test. At the very least I am going to ask for an oopherectomy-I don't have children but I resigned myself to the fact that I was never going to have a family several years ago. I've had a chest x ray, bone scan and a PET/CT scan (which was inconclusive) and know just how upsetting the whole experience can be. I am, though, finding it more manageable this time. I'm not sure if you work and whether it would be financially feasible, but I would recommend taking some sick leave if you are able at some point during your course of treatment-I have found the tail end of the rads to be a challenge and have taken 6 weeks off to collect myself.

Please let us know how you're getting on. All the best, Naz

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there sorry to hear ur news 😞
I had recurrence in my recon within weeks of my last chemo in summer last year. Mine presented as a skin rash + I was eventually diadnosed with skin mets several weeks later after being robbed off by my surgical team. My bc is triple negative so I always knew I was at higher risk of recurrence but never in my worst nightmare did I expect it to happen immediately 😞
I had surgery which involved remving my implant + alot of skin + muscle from the chest. they had to close me up using a tummy flap. But the rash was extensive by the time the operated. I then had intensive rads as I hadn't had rads prior to the recurrence.
Fingers crossed for clear scans- it's such an anxious time isn't it.
All the best
tina xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Bump...xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Reoccurrence with reconstruction

Hi. Just reeling with the news nearly six years after my original diagnosis that I have breast cancer again. Had several investigations into lumps in the reconstructed breast between now & then but gutted yesterday to hear my news. Got to have the whole reconstruction removed beginning of Jan and no reconstruction for a while. Full body scan next week to check it's not spread. Has this happened to anyone else? They say the grade & type of cancer exactly the same as my original.