Replacement prosthesis on NHS

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to what the rules are regarding replacement prostheses on the NHS?

My original one has literally just split today after 5 years (running Race for life, ironically!). I had a replacement about 2 years ago when I had put on weight (Tamoxifen) but then lost the weight again a few months later so went back to my old, smaller one.

Would I be allowed a new smaller one?

I’m going to email my BCN now, but wondered if anyone had a similar experince, as I’m guessing I’m up for a postcode lottery here…

Thanks, Bella

Hi Bella,

Why don’t you contact Knitted Knockers UK. www.knittedknockersuk.com On the page is a form where you can put your bra size, email and home address. One of the volunteers will either knit or crochet a ‘knocker’ in your size and send it to you, all totally free. As it is a charity though, a donation would be welcome.

poemsgalore xx

Hi Bella

I asked at my 3 year follow up appointment last year and was told i could get a new one after 2- 3 years if it needed replaced or sooner if I lost or gained weight or if there was a problem eg split. The prothesis nurse had phoned before I had even got home and I very quickly got a replacement. I live in Aberdeen. 

Hope you get a new one soon

Jennifer

Well done with running the Race for Life.

Yes, absolutely you should get a replacement prosthesis on the NHS.  They are not made to last for ever.  I was originally told (in writing), 5 years ago that I would be issued with a new one every 2 years (but this did subsequently change).

If your prosthesis is damaged for whatever reason or if it deteriorates or if your weight changes significantly so you need a different size you should have it replaced free of charge with no quibbling whatsoever.

Mine blistered after about 2 and a half years and I was issued with a new one. The BCN was fine but the prosthetics officer holds the stock and hence the budget for replacement prostheses at my local hospital and was a bit arsey about it to start with.  I pointed out that I could opt to have a reconstruction and how much more would that cost the NHS (albeit not out of her budget!).  For reasons of administrative bureaucracy I had to take a form to my GP who had to sign and fax said form back to the prosthetics officer at the hospital.  My GP was fine with this and didn’t even ask to see the blistered prosthesis. 

I think you’re probably correct that the ‘rules’ (and no dobut, the procedure) will vary depending on the protocol laid down by your local health authority (or whatever the terminology is).  However, I think to be refused a free replacement under the circumstances you have described would be tantamount to discrimination.

Let us know how you get on.