Research into men's experience of breast cancer

Men’s Experiences of Having Breast Cancer

ARE YOU A MAN WHO HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER?

WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES AND TAKE PART IN RESEARCH AIMED AT HELPING OTHER MEN, THEIR FAMILIES, DOCTORS AND NURSES?

This study is being undertaken as part of PhD research at the Medical Research Council’s Social and Public Health Sciences Unit at Glasgow University in collaboration with researchers from the DIPEx group at the University of Oxford. DIPEx is a registered charity that produces a unique, award winning website called Healthtalkonline. The website has excerpts of interviews in which people about their own experiences of illness. Participants can choose whether extracts from their interviews are shown as video, audio and written clips on the website. Healthtalkonline.org also has reliable information, answers to frequently asked questions, and links to other useful resources (such as websites, support groups, books and DVDs).

What would taking part involve?
Taking part in the project would involve being interviewed about your experiences, including: your thoughts and feelings at different stages, how you felt about the information you were given, how you have made treatment decisions, and what have been the good and bad parts of the experience.

We would be delighted to answer any questions you have about the project. To find out more or to volunteer to take part, please contact:

Caroline Sime
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit
4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ
Tel: 0141 357 3949
email: <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%63%61%72%6f%6c%69%6e%65%2d%73%40%73%70%68%73%75%2e%6d%72%63%2e%61%63%2e%75%6b%22%3e%63%61%72%6f%6c%69%6e%65%2d%73%40%73%70%68%73%75%2e%6d%72%63%2e%61%63%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

I don’t think that having excerpts of my experience published on a website are good for me or the reader.

I now have experience of newspaper and TV interviews and the subsequent editing and editorial changes.
This is an experience I don’t want to repeat and if I want people to know how it feels for a man to come through BC treatment, I will publish my copious notes in book form - provided I have rights to veto editing or addition of comments.

hi
I’ve had B/C myself and have been on tv,in newspapers and mags about my experiences and have no regrets whatsoever,i have had no problems with any comebacks from anybody.
Also i have taken part in this survey above and everything is confidential.
I do all i can to help get the word out to the male and female community,i feel like i’m doing my bit and giving something back.

regards,
Lance.

Hi I was just diagnosed on thursday 21/01/2010 with BC and would be quite willing to be part of your reseach or to help in any other way
Regards
Johnnyb1

Johnny i hope your ok and coping with things x

A friend of mine died recently of breast cancer (male) and its been widely publicised locally. I think its a good thing as there isnt much male awareness and i think men are prob worse at going to doc for any ailment.

He had a very positive experience with the media and I admire anyone with any type of cancer that can stand up and do their bit for promoting awareness xxx