As I am having chemo first I will think long and hard about immediate reconstruction although I did say to my consultant I would probably go the route to have it done immediately. Now I do not have to make that decision just yet. We have a holiday booked for 4 weeks in Lanzarote end of January so not sure how I would feel to go away that early or even if I am allowed to. Will have to discuss this. Love to everyone and keep your spirits up ...... I don't mean by the glassful. I am going out to Sunday lunch before chemo and I think I will work my way through the menu. xx
Just had the dreaded phone call to report on Monday 12 o'clock for my first chemo. I am still shaking. The nurse made me laugh she gets a lot of slam downs because of her accent as people think she is the dreaded PPI caller. She now has to say quickly Colchester Hospital. Very pleasant conversation but did not really take it all in. I have had to cancel my dentist appointment as I was due to go on Wednesday but now going Sat morning. My dentist is a dear he is seeing me although he had surgery himself on Tuesday for a hernia op and he was not going to see any patients until Monday week. Will keep you all posted and good luck to everyone else whose treatment is imminent. xx
Great news Tra about no spread, but still lots of decisions to be made regarding surgical options. My CT and MRI scans only showed up what we already knew, so a weight off my mind too. Bone scan tomorrow, but everyone is confident that will be clear too. I've to have chemo first and should start the week after next, but will almost definitely need a full mastectomy afterwards due to the relative size of my lumps compared to my breast size! I will have reconstruction at the time, although I did admit to my consultant my concerns about my body not being so fit after a whack of chemo. He did say that they were valid concerns and if I felt really storngly they would reconsider, but even though I am a nurse, I am not an expert in this field and will bow to their superior knowledge with this. I will just try and keep as well as I can and hope the chemo is kind to me 🙂 Good luck with whatever decisions you reach xx
Great that it had not spread. I can understand why you want mastectomy - that is how I felt. My first routine screening mammogram then biopsy showed intermediate DCIS in one breast. I wanted mastectomy but consultant wanted to try WLE so I did. Margins were not clear so I then had mx (and sentinel node biopsy). Afterwards I was told this was the right decision as analysis after mx showed the surrounding cells had all been in the process of changing so would have gone on to be a problem. I understand why the consultant wanted to try WLE but the result was that I ended up with 2 ops rather than one! A few months later I found a lump the other side. Mammogram/ ultrasound looked OK but luckily they did a biopsy around the lump which showed high grade DCIS. I was offered MRI but I wanted to go straight to mastectomy and consultant agreed. Mx revealed invasive cells which had not shown up on anything before - luckily nodes were clear (had sentinel node biopsy with mx) but for various reasons oncologist advised further treatment to reduce risk of recurrence so did chemo etc.
I did not find the mastectomies too bad but everyone is different. I bounced back pretty quickly both times - week off work then week working at home. I was driving approx 2 weeks after op - as soon as consultant said it was OK. However I only had SNB (not full node clearance) and did not have reconstruction and I seem to heal quickly. I did not want reconstruction as I did not want more surgery/longer recovery time. However it was useful knowing that it is possible to change your mind about this and go for delayed recon - although I am certain now that I won't because definitely do not want two recons. I also find that I get on fine with prostheses - in fact after second mx I am no longer lopsided so don't always bother with them. I think perhaps that because I felt positive about the mastectomies it has made it easier to adapt to changed appearance etc. Not everyone feels like this so I can understand why medical teams want people to consider carefully where there is a choice - but in the end it is your decision.
Very best wishes for your decision making and for your treatment. I definitely found it is better once you have a treatment plan and I hope you enjoyed the wine (I found chocolate was pretty good too).