Results of implant reconstruction

I am 38 years old and was diagnosed with DCIS last year and underwent a mastectomy on my left breast with immediate reconstruction with an expander implant.  My surgeon believed this process would give me the best chance at matching my remaining breast. I had the expander swapped to a permanent implant just over 4 weeks ago.  My problem is that the implant is lumpy giving my breast a bumpy and angular shape. When I have a padded bra on no one would know what my breast looks like as it is the perfect size match to my other breast. Naked however my breast is malformed. I’m really struggling to accept this breast as when I wash it it feels like there’s bubble wrap under my skin and when I look at it all I see are lumps and bumps, wrinkles and creases. It’s really getting me down but some people are telling me I just have to accept it as I’ve had a mastectomy and that’s the best I can hope for. Others are telling me it’s not right and I should go back to my surgeon so he can do something about it. I just wondered what other people’s experiences are of implants - are yours lumpy or do they look just like a implant does on a non- mastectomied woman? I would really appreciate your replies xx

Hi lilycat, I had my car expander replaced 2 weeks ago. I had some swelling so currently have pressure tape in it to help reduce swelling and get into a better position, so I haven’t had a good look at it yet. I’m seeing my surgeon on Thursday so all should be revealed.

I have read that it can take 6-12 months for it to settle and achieve final result. However, if you are concerned about the bubble effect you should see your nurse or surgeon.

I’ve also been told that the aim of reconstruction is to give a good, symmetrical appearance in clothes. And we should not expect it to look the same unclothed.

My lymphodema nurse said that breast lymphodema looks like orange peel / cellulite so you should rule this out too.

You may want to re-post under the surgery section to get s better response.

All the best, keep in touch as a t would he good to know how well we progress x

Hi,
I have double expanders coming out and implants surgery scheduled May 23rd. Will let you know how it goes. Hoping for the best.
Sue