Return of periods

Hi, I hadn’t had a period since my 2nd chemo (February 2014) and then suddenly on Thursday it returned. For the last 2 days I have been bleeding really really heavy so much so that I am having to change my protection every 1-2 hours, is this normal? I’m feeling so tired and lethargic too. Was really hoping I was in the menopause (I’m 41) but hey my body can’t even do that right. Thank u xxx

Hi Katiecjm

It might help to give our Helpline a call to talk this over.  They’ll be able to offer information and support.  They are open again tomorrow (9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays).  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Katie I’ve had a similar experience. After chemo my Oncologist said I was menopausal. That was nearly two years ago and a couple of months ago I had a heavy bleed , period pains etc. I saw my doctor who sent me to the gyno dept. at my local hospital and they did some tests. Everything was normal. It’s seems that I was not menopausal after all. I’ve read that periods can come back. The chemo can stop them for a while. 

You best check with your doctor, just to make sure everything’s okay as bleeding sometimes can be a symptom of something else.