Return to work during chemo - HELP.

Hi
I am looking to return to work during my chemo and have a return to work meeting tomorrow afternoon. I have Statement of Fitness for Work which states that I may benefit from a "phased return to work " and “altered hours” and also noted that I am able to work part time. I also have a letter from my bcn, stating that she considers that I am coping well with the chemo, and would benefit returning to work part time.

The email from my employers confirming the meeting states:

Please bring all your documentation with you confirming that your doctor is happy for you to return to work, if you have not already submitted this to HR. The document should detail the number of hours per week they feel you are able to cope with and also what duties you are/are not allowed to do. This will form the basis for planning your work schedule.

They also state they won’t let me do anything “stressful”!

I don’t think either my doctor or bcn will provide anything so prescriptive - are my employers allowed to ask for this?

I thought the whole point of the meeting would be discuss all this. I am someone who is effectively an administrator, collating information for submitting bids to bodies such as the DWP for training etc.

I can’t find anywhere about having Dr stipulating hours that I am allowed to work. I thought the whole point of a phased return was to in effect “suck it and see” and review regularly!

Any info would be gratefully received - have phoned MacMillan and they seemed to agree with my perception.

Thanks in advance

SJ

Sorry SJ, I don’t know but thought I’d reply to keep you high on the latest posts list.

I looked on our work intranet and found that for where I work, you’re supposed to agree what hours you’ll work with the comany’s medical officer and then fill in the hours you’re not working on your time sheet as OHU (occupational health unit). I can’t tell what hours I can commit to. After FEC 1, I would have been fine to work for most of week 2 and all of week 3. After FEC 2, I could have done a few days week 2 but have felt washed out and weepy in week 3. So I can’t commit to a schedule with the medical officer.

Thanks, for bumping it up, unfortunately, a company of our size does not run to a medical officer or OHU! Just HR and line manger plus boss watching their backsides big time, they can’t see the wood for the trees. It is unfortunate that I am still in my probationary period (found lump day after accepted job after 5 months of unemployment, and prior to op, they were very supportive.

Ideally, I think they hope I won’t come back until treatment finished despite “saying” otherwise, but tbh - I need the mental stimulation big time, and cash also. Finances are very tight…

FEC1 se’s were a nightmare, but they got the meds for the sickness sorted for FEC2 - have 3 on Friday, and hopefully, will go as well as 2!

Oh well, will have to go meeting and see what they say…

Thanks

SJ xx

I went into see my boss last week (work for Santander) and laid my cards on the table as I am due to start my EC chemo on the 25th Jan, my boss has been brilliant as I couldnt give him any information as to how I was going to be durin my treatment, he agreed with me that i could see how I was on a day to day basis, so i am really lucky.

All I can say is that when i had glaucoma 2 years ago and did a phased return I had a meeting and we agreed hours of work, did initially till 12 and then gradually built it up, I agree that you should be able to discuss this in your meeting with them. I must just have a fantastic boss.

Good luck x

To be honest that’s how I thought it would be until I got the email, a discussion between us on the best way forward, taking into consideration both sides needs, we fi sometimes have big deadlines and it wouldn’t be fair to take on those, if I can’t guarantee I will be in because I don’t feel well!

Will just have to see!

SJ xx

Hi SJ. I do work in HR though not an expert on this area, my knowledge is old so may be out of date. However I am pretty sure there was a change in law recently which meant that if e.g. You are currently signed off work and are looking to return during the period where you are still signed off then your gp or consultant needs to sign that you are fit to return.

Common sense needs to prevail and your gp will not know enough about your job to say what you can or can’t do unless really obvious duties such as no heavy lifting. Does your company have an occupational health nurse? If so you should be referred to them before you return. Even then it really is you who know what you are capable of physically and mentally.

Find out who will be at the meeting as well beforehand. You don’t need to agree to anything on the spot, ask for time to think about what is being proposed and whether you need to trial the work plan. Also think about what you may need in the future as next month you may feel too tired or unwell to continue working to the proposed work plan, what flexibility may you need?

It would be worth you putting a list together of what duties you think you can manage in an average week and which ones you can’t manage at all or need help with. The meeting should be 2 way with your manager having a view on what can work along with input from HR.

I think cancer falls under the DDA act now so your company may be scAredabout getting it wrong. This can be avoided by having regular reviews to discuss what’s working and what isn’t and I would suggest weekly to begin with with the option of being able to meet with your manager sooner if something isn’t working for you.

Also, perhaps have 2 meetings, first one to discuss all options and the second one to agree exact plan (with future flexibility).

My last thought is a question as I haven’t started my fec and so haven’t asked the question for myself yet but do you need to consider your immune system in relation to if you work in an air conditioned environment and also what would you do if an outbreak of e…g. Flu in the office?

Hope this helps

Hi, there is a long reply on it’s way but have just seen your latest response re no OHU hence i would think that’s why they are pushing all responsibility onto your consultant which is unfair as he does not know enough about your job. I think you are going to need to do the planning for this meeting so really think about your needs. 2 meetings would be advisable so that you have time to consider all options and are able to get follow up advice from your consultant or (anyone else) before committing to a work plan. Good luck.

SJ it sounds like your employer is trying to put the ball in the BCN/Drs court. I agree they ( BCN/DR )are not best placed to decide on the detail of the altered hours situation.Can your duties be amended so that you do not have to work on the deadlines. Wishing you well and that the s/e of FEC are as few as poss. Jackie xx

Hi SJ. I returned to work yesterday and was very apprehensive about doing so due to infection. I did have to provide a Fit For Work note from the doctors with all the necessary boxes ticked. I work in a secondary school and they have been absolutely brilliant, saying I can work from home or go into work when I feel like it. I have had FEC1 and couldn’t have returned any earlier than the end of week 2. Like Nottsgal I also feel very weepy this week before my FEC 2 next Monday, but my hair is falling out so I’ve put it down to that. Am hoping they sort my meds for sickness out for FEC2 - I had awful se’s. Good luck at your meeting.

Hi SJ how did it go at the meeting with your employer?

Hi I would be interested to know how this has gone and whether you managed to agree a plan for working during chemo? I have just (finally!!) had a discussion with HR about the sickness and absence proceedures and how I could work during treatment - the reality is that they are VERY unhappy about the idea of me working at all during treatment, despite the fitness certificate from my oncologist. It appears that if anything happens to me their insurance will be invalidated. My certificate will be reviewed and I will have to speak to occupational health before I have permission to work. This is very hard for me - I have been leading a major systems implementation project in Brussels, have had only one week to hand over to a replacement, and quite honestly I am much happier when I can keep an eye on things! And of course this is complicated by the delay in actually starting chemo…should have been monday, but was sent for CT and bone scans due to problems found in blood tests - keeping fingers crossed for next monday!
Sue

Hi Sue, I have been fortunate and my employers have just said to come in to work on the days i feel well enough, they have never mentioned any insurance thing to me at all and i work for a very large company. I would have to ask what they are anticipating may 'happen to you ’ ? It seems a little unfair that they are putting up barriers as it is clear you would only be sitting at home fretting about your project at a time when you need as little as possible to worry about. I have managed to work since about day 4 following FEC1 , not full days but have managed six hours and i really feel its just good to think about other things than cancer. This week when my WBC drop has been a bit dodgy because my temp rose and i did stay away a couple of days from fear of picking up anything nasty. I do wish you luck in being able to work and also your scans.

Keep fighting!!

Sally

I am thinking about going back to work too, but part time until i can return full time. I am about to have my 3rd chemo treatment and feel i need to work. I work in a Urgent Care center and hope my oncologist will agree to me going back to work. I may have to wear a mask for the a few weeks but what ever it takes to get back in the norm. Does anyone know if that would be okay for me to work in a Urgent Care clinic and be on chemo.

JoAnna

Hi I was wondering how others who are trying to work through chemo are finding the reality? - I did finally win the argument and have been allowed to work as and when I feel up to it, which is working out at about 8 full days in every 3 weeks. When I feel well enough to work, I let my manager, HR officer and team know exactly when I am logged in and available, but…
I am not copied in on any plans
I am not invited to any team meetings
I have very little work to do - basically just trying to review what I can from the few e-mails that come my way
I am told by colleagues that my manager has said he does not want to put me under any stress, hence wants to leave me alone - he has actually spoken to me for just 10 minutes in the last month.
My job is project manager/ data migration functional expert for a major American corporation for projects across Europe - I normally run the plans, and make the decisions, but am being excluded from my role (an American PWC consultant has taken my place). I have discused how I feel with my replacement, who always promises to include me - but it doesn’t happen.
This is giving me far more stress than keeping control of my job ever would have done! If it wasn’t for the fact that I have had a number of delays already in treatment, and as main breadwiner in my household the thought of ending up on reduced pay terrifies me, I would give up and go sick until this is all over - at least then I would not find myself at the end of the year trying to explain my acheivements for the time I have been “working”, which will be very very few at this rate! Help!

Hi PW.

I’m trying to work throughout chemo (as you, trying to avoid half pay). On average, I’ve probably done about 2 to 2.5 days a week instead of 5. I’ve been allowed to do reduced hours so can do shorter days or fewer days in a week. Halfway through chemo so far.

I think I’ve had it easier than you when it comes to getting work to do. When I came back from being signed off completely (after surgery and other stuff), at first I had nothing to do and probably recorded more sick leave than I would have, had I been busy with work. But now that people know I’m working, colleagues have been quite good about giving me work that I can do as and when I’m up to it.

Your company shouldn’t be allowed to exclude you from things, and they also shouldn’t expect you to have achieved particularly much if you are not being allowed to do the job you did before. For example, I’ve had my appraisal put on hold for 6 months as they know I wont be able to achieve what I would normally.

Can you arrange a meeting (or phone call) with your manager to discuss your concerns? Its all very well him saying he doesn’t want to stress you out, but it sounds like him not giving you any work or being in contact with you IS stressing you out! And formally request from either your manager (or the HR contact, if that would have more sway) that they include you in plans, meetings etc.

I think there are some brochures on working during chemo and what companies have to do to avoid discriminating against people undergoing cancer treatment on this website somewhere. Not sure if these would help?
Good luck.

Al x

Hi Projectwoman,

I have put for you below links to BCC’s publications regarding employment, I hope they help. If you need any further information then please do phone the helpline who are here to support you through this.

Information for employees:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/25/

Information for employers:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/26/

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/127/

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

I wish I had the opportunity to go back to work as I miss the company and next month I’m on half pay, I’ve just made an appointment to see bank manager later this week to see if I can work a financial plan till I can go back to work. I shall be on stat pay before i get back. Someone said just go back for day then you get pay back, but im not sure. If you go back part time to start with, are you paid parttime money or are you paid normal monthly wage. My boss is fantastic and I go back when I’m ready, no pressure, but that doesn’t help finance.
What ever you can do that’s good for you, good luck!

Ok, sent the leaflets to boss and HR, together with a note to say how frustrated I am feeling. Just had a call with the boss, who had not realised how excluded I felt, and has promised to feed more my way. He has given me something new to look at right away, so it is a start! Fingers crossed I can be taken seriously as still a part of the team…

That’s a great result PW. Just make sure they stick to it!

Al x

Excellent, PW, well done. But how frustrating for you that you needed to do all the work on this, too few employers take into consideration what their responsibilities are.