Returning to Work after Treatment

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone had returned to work after they had finished treatment for mets?

I wish to take a phased return to work next month, reducing my hours from full time to part time but my boss is trying to make life as difficult as possible and has suggested enhanced retirement…suggesting that I may not be able to cope and has suddenly decided that my work performance has not been up to scratch. This comes as a huge surprise as performance has never been mentioned before. I suspect they are trying to protect themselves.

I know that we are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, and if I’m forced to leave because he makes life too difficult for me to continue work I could claim constructive dismissal, (I would really rather not go down this road) but feel after 6 months of support from him, I’ve just been kicked in the teeth.

Has anyone out there experienced this?

Going to get some advice from ACAS tomorrow

Jane xx

Dear Jane,

You may find it helful to refer to our “Employ charter” I have attached the link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/25/

Very best wishes

Janet
BCC Facilitator

Sorry Jane to hear of your plight. I can’t help with much good advice but all I can say is I’ve been put in similar straits by my employer (an insurance company with a lady in a black cloak). I was signed back last August on a phased return but working from home as I had been successfully doing for the previous 18 months prior to bc diagnosis due to severe clinical depression. I was nervous about returning but thinking it would help me in the long run feel ‘useful’ again.

After not hearing from them for 2 weeks they then decided they couldn’t support me working from home any longer (I’m a programmer and if I can’t who can?!). Initial suggestion was ill health early retirement (how, when I’ve just been signed back?). Afte rlots of work with my union I’m now being pushed out with redundancy - ok it’s reasonable terms but it’s been 6 monmths from hell, and right now they’re arguing about silly (to me ) things like PILON - I have 3 months notice, but they’re trying to fob me off with 1 week per year of service - ie 10 weeks not 13 - maybe £2.5K difference, a lot to me but not a lot to them.

It will get resolved but its been a major mental cost to me, knocking me way back.

All I can say is hang on in there, if you have a union get them involved PDQ and best of luck.

Nina

Hi Jane

I have sent you a personal message

Nicola xx

Hi Jane
Sorry that your employer is being less than helpful.
I had a similar situation before Christmas; I spoke to the Equalities Commision who helped me argue against a competitive assimilation process I’d been placed in. I was able to appeal and as a result still have a job, for a while at least.
They will be able to discuss your case and may be able to represent you.
Best wishes,
Sue

Hi all,

I finished my chemo last Aug and Rads last Nov. Returned to work this week.

I am working from home with reduced hours, but still on full pay. From April, I’m going to be paid according to the hours I work. Somehow, my boss is still expecting me to go back to full time or 10 hours per day (I took that as a joke because we both broke out laughing after he said that!). My boss said that he’ll give me full support and will continue to accommodate me so that I can carry on working for the company.

I’m a programmer, too, Nina!! So, I really feel sorry for you. It’s probably the best job that you can do from home. We did however, agreed that I pop into the office on a regular basis with the company’s laptop to make sure that I’m doing the right thing. I hope my boss won’t change his mind any time soon.

I feel very lucky that I can still work and I have such a supportive employer.

Hope you can get some help, Jane and Nina.

xx