cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning to sport

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Returning to sport

Well I'm now day one post lumpectomy and have been out walking with the dogs, full range of movement in my shoulder and not required any pain relief since recovery. Either this is the high after the op, otherwise skiing may still be a possibility in a months time, surgeon has given the go ahead. Off to the lakes walking at new day, determined to start 2014 with a bang and not let things get me down, have also signed up for a a triathlon!,

Hi

I had my surgery at the end of Nov and went skiing mid February - this was one week after finishing rads. For me it was the very best 'therapy' after 9 months of treatment. Skiing is my passion and I have been doing it for 35+ years, so I am confident on the slopes. However, I started off on the easy slopes, with lots of stops. Slowly regaining my confidence. My family carried my gear and I couldn't get the boots off at the end of the day as my finger joints were still so painful from the chemo!

I couldn't get travel insurance as it was so quickly post treatment, but took out insurance without bc covered. You can always go and just ski for a couple of hours every day? (that was my plan, but it turned out, I was fine)

Hope this helps.

Regards, Nimx

Highlighted

Hi SCE,

I tried it - and it didn't go well, but I think it was because I had an axillary clearance  as well as MX. Altho your surgeon will definitely have an opinion on whats a sensible time frame for return . there is also the psychological challenge - I just felt so scared others were going to bang into me, not that I would do myself harm -

you can alsways ring the surgeon's secretary and ask if they could ask and get back to you,

the skiing hol the following year was brillinat tho!!!!! all the best

M

Highlighted

Hello there,

I guess it depends what surgery you are having really . I personally would not want to go on a skiing holiday and take part after a full mx. I would be taking the chair lift and sitting in the bar with a nice glass of something. The problem with any surgery is always the recovery time. I had a mx with immediate recon in July 2010 and had a Coach holiday booked to Lake Garda but my surgeon said right from the outset that she recommended cancelling the holiday that was booked for August. To be honest I was more tearful and upset about cancelling the holiday than the diagnosis of Breast Cancer so I know how you feel......BUT it is only a short time out of your life and any damage to your arm could leave you with permanent lympodema in the affected arm. Please talk through all the options with your breast surgeon , but I personally would be cancelling. Could you bring it forward and go now before surgery ?

Sending you love and positive vibes, Tracy xxx

Highlighted

Returning to sport

I am about to undergo surgery but am an active and fit person, how quickly do people return to sport? I have a ski holiday booked in jan, what is the chance of me being able to go if I have surgery in dec?