Right nipple and areola different from left

Hi…i had my breasts checked at hospital over a year ago after feeling dull ache on right hand side and a lump. After mammogram and ultrasound got the all clear. Since then i still have the achey feeling on the right hand side breast and have noticed over time that when im in the bath the nipple sinks in on one side and the areola on one side stays puckered rather than spreading out with the heat of the bath like the left nipple. Also now noticing some flattening/sinking ever so slightly in that area. Dont want to seem neurotic if i go back to the doctors and maybe im just being paranoid.

Hi Poppy71,

It sounds like you are going through quite an anxious time and I am sure some of our supportive users will be along soon. You may also want to look at our signs and symptoms page which you can find here. 

In the meantime please do give thehelpline a ring at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about the changes you have been experiencing and offer some advice. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Ho Poppy,

I recon you should make an appointment with your GP. I think you have some things going on that you are being totally reasonable and not paranoid to want it checked out and that’s what all these adverts you see and hear are telling us to do after all!

It may well be nothing sinister but it is making you anxious and you will just keep worrying about it if you don’t get it checked out.

My 24 year old daughter has been referred to the breast clinic twice in the last four years, for different symptoms and they were lovey and understanding both times, as she put it, she is just very ‘breast aware’ (as we all need to be) and now it’s me with BC, I hope all of my four daughters will be.

You see some differences and feel something, so go and find out what is going on, don’t worry that anyone will think you’re being silly, much better to get some reassurance!

Amanda x

Thank you Lizzie and Amanda,
I have made an appointment to get it checked out at the doctors this week.
P x

Have you managed to see you GP yet, Poppy? 

Amanda x