69237members
363533posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routine Mammogram and assuming you are going Private for Tests?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Routine Mammogram and assuming you are going Private for Tests?

I had all my screening done on the nhs (quite quickly) then swapped to private for my scans and treatment. My local nhs hospital is very good, but I would have had to wait a couple of weeks for the scans. I know private hospitals facilities vary, but mine is very very well equipped, and has everything on site apart from a pet scanner, which they have in a mobile unit once a week. They have a brand new chemo unit and a radiotherapy unit. I think what decision you make will party depend on what your local nhs and private hospitals offer.

Hi doggyvonne. Not exactly the same situation but similar. I was referred by my gp for urgent tests and she strongly recommended the nhs route. She stressed the main benefit to be that all the tests could be done in the same place. As it turned out there is a backlog of referrals where I live and I would have had to wait 4 weeks instead of 14 days. I went privately through my insurance but the hospital did advise there was a certain type of biopsy that they wouldn't be able to do. One of the nurses actually commented that the screening equipment used by my local nhs was state of the art and could do some tests in a way that theirs couldn't. If I had gone the nhs route I would have been looking for private care after the results without question, but the most important thing is that you're seen quickly. Good luck and I wish you well.

Hi doggyvonne

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their knowledge and experiences if you need additional support or just to talk things through do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your thoughts with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC facilitatorf

Routine Mammogram and assuming you are going Private for Tests?

I am lady 58 just been sent letter for recall for 2 hours of tests after a routine Mammogram in a mobile screening unit.  The situation is I dont drive and live rural so my husband needs to take me a considerable distance for the new tests.  We pay an insurance to deal with such things but as I was just invited by the screening unit and not referred by my GP the insurance  complained that I need to see my GP and get an 'open referral letter'.  Time is short as I am fast tracked within a week-tests on Monday, but I asked my GP for a letter.  I had a phone call from my GP saying kindly, but emphatically that I would do better to stay with NHS as the Nuffield Hospital does not have the equipment and facilities to deal with anything but benign conditions.  This could be true but I am very amazed at this statement,  I suppose I have no real choice but to keep the NHS appointments but there could be others and generally NHS appointments are not so patient friendly.  My husband is 62, works full time high flying career in science..when he had his knee op in another county to Cambs he got appointments at 8pm in the evening after work.  I think that is possibly the main reason that companies like his employers encourage health plans and some way subsidise them so their employees take the minimum of time out of work and are sorted as conveniently as possible.  Has anyone here transferred to private consultant in same situation please?