Routine mammogram

Hi all, I haven’t been on here for a while but i had breast cancer 5 years ago . I was discharged from the hospital last year because all my 5 previous mammograms were clear. Anyway because I’m 50 i was automatically invited for a routine mammogram because I’m now back on the normal screening program. I had my mammogram last Thursday So, my question is… When you get discharged from the hospital after having breast cancer , obviously women who have had breast cancer are at a higher risk of recurrence etc …so are we priororitised over women who have never had bc ? Are they likely to contract a woman quicker if there is anything abnormal? Also do they still liaise with the breast clinic? So will they see our records etc ? I’m feeling very anxious, in fact I’m feeling more anxious than what I did when I was having my annual mammograms … silly…I know… lol… x

Hi Kaz,

I am now on routine mammograms.  As far as I am aware I am now treated no differently from someone who hasn’t had breast cancer.  

Hi Kaz,
I think I remember the radiologist saying that it just reverts back to usual protocols. Obviously, if there was any issue, it would be responded to the same way for all, as the time scales would be no different anyway.
ann x

Kaz - I have had this conversation with a few people - it’s quite a scary thought isn’t it - 3 years in between mammograms .One of the ladies said you can request yearly mammograms still - I’m not sure whether that is true - may be worth asking ?

Hi Jill, It is a scary thought because its almost as if they have forgotten about us lol. I don’t think yearly mammograms are of any benefit from what I’ve heard. X

Hi Ann, you’d think that because we are in a higher risk bracket they’d treat women who have had breast cancer first priority over women who haven’t, but like you said I guess they don’t … I’m guessing they’ll still look at our previous records to compare them with x

Hi roadrunner , I’m sure I’ve chatted to you before … lol x

Hi Kaz,
Just to expand a bit, as Jill says, on discharging me the oncologist did say I could request yearly mammos after 5 years, a colleague of mine was also told the same when she finished treatment.
I went to a support group where the radiologist was doing the session, we did ask her about this & she did state that usual practice is to go back to 3 years as the evidence suggested this was ok, although she recognised that this was not too reassuring for those coming to the end of 5 year follow up.
ann x

Hi Kaz
My BC was only found through a routine mammogram after a private medical. I’ve been having them privately every two years since I was around 45 and not for any reason other than my private GP is passionate about proactive health screening. I’m now 54 and have only just been called for a mammogram on the NHS. I know I will have annual screening on the NHS for the next 5 years but I’ve already been advised by my private GP that he’s going to continue with annual screening after that. I will have to pay for the screening but it’s not that expensive and I would rather have the peace of mind. It’s my health at the end of the day and I’m not prepared to let 3 years go by after everything I’ve been through this past 8 months. I know I would just worry myself crazy. I don’t know if that helps you at all but I wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. Maybe I will feel differently in 5 years time if I’m fortunate enough to remain clear of BC of course ?Anita x

Well thank you ladies for your comments .id just like to say I had my results back for my mammogram and it was clear . I may ask if I can go annually for mammograms but from what I gather is going for them annually doesn’t benefit , what they advise is that we keep checking Our breasts…I think some hospitals operate differently … x