Running stories

Just looking for some inspiration really, from others who have started or re-started running after treatment.

I have run on and off for years. Mostly off, I have to say. But when I do get into it I really love it, and have found in the past that it doesn’t take long to build up muscle and stamina. Never got into it competitively or long distance or anything, but I suppose when I was into it I would build up to something like 10-12 mile runs.

Typical! I went to a running shop and bought new shoes and clothes literally 2 days before DX! I suppose I was hoping the tests would be negative, and promised myself that after such a close shave I would get myself fit again. Now am in the position of being over halfway through chemo, looking forward to RADS, and starting tamoxifen at the same time.

Suffered badly through FEC, but started going for long brisk walks in weeks 2 and 3. Have had the first TAX - on the 3rd week of the cycle now. (SO much better than FEC.) Went for a 6 mile walk exactly one week after the dose, no problem. I’ve started walking to work - 10 mile round trip, and can feel the benefits.

So, all the walking is really to try and build up to starting running again. Not sure whether to try and start while still doing TAX, or whether I will find it difficult with stamina or muscle and just depress myself. I’m older than I used to be too! 38 next month.

Has anyone found the long term tamoxifen affects their ability to run?

Anyone’s stories much appreciated - Love to you all, Helen.

That’s quite inspiring Helen as I also took up running just before my latest diagnosis and I did the Hastings half marathon just weeks before I found out. I loved running too and I’m so disappointed that I had to give up and now become this unenergetic blob when I was becoming so fit before. I’m still going through my treatment now, this is my third time going through treatment, but I can’t wait to get back to the running club! I have a treadmill so I will start walking first quite soon as my legs are the most unfit. I would advise you to start walking too, maybe just to the end of the road initially and then build up from there. I have to use a wheelchair most of the time at the moment, but walking back to the car from chemo yesterday I pushed it myself. It was very slow but I did it!
Sorry, I’m a bit waffly at the moment, chemo seems to have given me verbal diarrhoea! Hope you get on ok!

Hi Helen

I did a bit of running prior to dx and took up walking miles when on chemo. I tried to have a little run on the treadmill the other day at the gym but I found it too painful in my boob and that was with a new sports bra and a support top on!! Also, it made my arm feel like it was pumped up. I thought it was bringing on lymphoedema so stopped. Now I am scared to try again incase it happens again.

I have taken to using the static bike in the gym and walking as much as I can but it’s no substitute for the running. Nothing makes me feel as good as a run.

I hope you get back to running easier than me.There’s no better feeling than being fit.
xx

I walk on treadmill and also use the x-trainer. I would love to give jogging a go but like Greenpea it is too painful. I had WLE and node clearance and can’t cope with any boob bounce. Can anyone recommend any good sports bras that helps with this.

Such a shame greenpea and AJXXX. Perhaps you should go back to the physiotherapist? See what they say about lymphodoema. That doesn’t sound like it should make sense - the arm’s not weight bearing is it. I suppose exercise increases the flow of everything through the body though. perhaps a physio could reassure you.

I have had a mastectomy so hopefully pain won’t be such an issue.

BC and treatment all so terrible, sounds awful not to be able to run it all off!

Hi Helen,

I was dx in Feb 07, had mastectomy, 4 x FEC, 4 x Tax, 20 rads, now on tamoxifen and have had 13 out of 18 herceptins. I was 44 at dx. I have never given up running all through treatment. I did the Race for Life last year after 6 chemos, couldn’t quite run it all as the Tax was really kicking in and weakening my muscles. By the end of the tax I could barely run 1/2 a mile, and it has taken me most of the past year to regain my fitness. But I did the Race for Life again this year, and spurred on by my 18 yr old daughter who I was running with, did it in a PB.

Greanpea - I have lymphodoema in my hand, and due to my active lifestyle (I run three times a week and swim once) my lymphoedema nurse didn’t bother to give me any exercises to do as she felt I was doing enough already. So I don’t think you need to be worried about running giving you lymphoedema. But if you have any doubts, I suggest you talk to your BC nurse.

Hi Helen
I have recently started running, but more than a year since chemo ended. But that wasn’t for any medical reason, it just happened to be a while until I motivated myself. My philosophy is anything that makes you feel better must be of benefit. I would recommend a well-fitted supportive bra though!! As for my arm, it does ache ocassionally but I have a compression sleeve which I do use from time to time, but I must add since I have increased my exercise it actually hurts less frequently.

I only started running in June, my husband did a race to raise money for cancer research and i half heartedly joined him in some of his training, but then found I began to lose weight! (that extra Tamoxifen/chemo/steroids/being at home and not at work! stone that had settled round my middle) so have continued and am now training for my first 5K run in September (for breakthrough!)

I personally tried to exercise with Tax but longish walks were my limit, I tried cycling, but had a funny turn one day so decided to give it a miss. I don’t think Tamoxifen has affected me too much, apart from causing weight to settle more around my stomach! another reason to increase the exercise!

I guess what I’m trying to say amidst my waffling is go for what feels OK, but don’t push yourself too hard. a year down the line I feel great, totally back to normal, if not better than ever! So things do improve and your fitness should return reasonably quickly.
Good luck with finishing your treatment and I wish you a speedy return to exercise!

Nicky

Hi all,

I speed walk as I don’t like running. My onc and GP laughed at me when I said that I was going to continue during rads. I walked during them but at no great speed.

Today I’ve just had my first fast walk in the Chilterns, hills and all and feel good for it. I’m off tamoxifen at the moment as it gave me such joint aches in my hips and thighs but seeing onc again soon to discuss this again and maybe try another brand.

Greenpea - do you think that you are trying to hold your boob too tight? I wear just a secret suppot top and t shirt to walk in. Not bothered what others think but this is comfortable for me. Very sore and painful boob today due to rads, not for walking. I’m not going to stop now.

Good luck to you all.

Hi All

Thanks for all the great advice as always.

Well, I went on the cross trainer this week because I thought it was a half way between the treadmill and walking. Managed ok for 20 mins but found it hard aerobically! Also my arm still feels pumped (for want of a better word). I’m worried about the repetitive movements bringing on lymphoedema but will ask at next appt.
Toffee, I’m a 32DD so need a bra but have ditched the support vest although still finding a bra really makes my boob and underarm area very sore. Can’t keep one on for a full day yet.

Still, onwards and upwards huh?

xx

Hi all,

You are all inspirational people and it is lovely to read such determined posts.
This probably isn’t very useful as I didn’t have chemo and I am not on tamoxifen, but I ran the Great South Run 12 weeks after surgery and just under 3 weeks following completion of 25 rads sessions. When I went for radiotherapy, I would park my car as far away as possible and power walk to and from the appointment. I think that by staying active did help. I also completed the Hastings half marathon and the London Marathon ths year and ran on behalf of Breast Cancer Care (this was 9 months from surgery date). I continue to run now and always wear 2 bras (1 normal and 1 sports bra over the top). Running does help to keep me sane!