Ruptured implant - did running cause it?

Just come out of hospital, having had a badly ruptured implant removed. It had split right across and was spilling out bits of silicone, causing inflammation and internal bleeding that made my breast/implant swell.

This is the second rupture I’ve had [the first being a small rupture in my other breast, which was healthy but I had augmented during reconstruction post-full mastectomy ten years ago]. I now have to spend the next 2/3 months waiting for the breast to recover completely - with a temporary prosthesis, which I wasn’t expecting to need, having aimed for swapping the ruptured implant for a new one.

There’s no guarantee I can have a new implant, but if I do it will mean another surgery [I’ve had 6 in total over the last ten years - 5 on the reconstructed breast - but am otherwise fit n healthy so not really an issue?] plus more time off work [whcih I don’t get paid for] and more weeks of recovery.

I am also holding fire on running now as I am not sure if that caused the rupture? I definitely won’t be running again until this one has fully healed, so am going to be pretty frustrated, having been a regular runner for >30 years!

Any advice from someone who has gone through the same thing? Should I try again, or give up now and just use a prosthesis as implants and I don’t get along?

I also want to know why the thing ruptured and why I had both go? Is there a link here? I know they weren’t the same implants that caused the scare a couple of years ago.

Hi Alibaby

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies to your question as yet and am sure there will be plenty of forum users out there who are also runners, hopefully they will now see your question and reply.  In the meantime you are more than welcome to give our helpline team a ring and talk to them about what has been happening, they’re here to help all they can.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator