S-Gap reconstruction

I am not quite sure how to do this, having never done anything like this before, but here goes.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Dec 2008 and needing a mastectomy, I was quite strongly persuaded to have an S-Gap reconstruction, which is where they take the tissue from the buttock to make a breast. I have a pretty nice breast but a really ugly buttock. Apart from the look of it, I have found it has given me severe structural problems, due to the imbalance.

Luckily I am in the business of health and fitness and so have a very good body awareness and lots of knowledge at my fingertips, however it is a continuing uphill struggle.

I am very interested in finding others who have been through the same surgery, as I am convinced its not a good solution, either visually or structurally. Would love to hear what others experiences have been like.

Hello
Well a bit of me is envious if I’m honest. I wish to goodness someone had offered me SGAP or IGAP.
There are (or were a year or two ago) a few ladies on BC Pals who’d had this op and claimed to be “happy” with the results. I’m not sure any of us is happy with the recon business but it’s relative I suppose. Perhaps they mean that it is tolerable.
Have you looked into lipo filling to achieve a better contour? I know this is done so if you wish to know more then maybe PM me.
CM

Hi Freespirit

I had the IGAP and yes did have a few problems which slowly resolved themselves. In terms of inbalance, I can’t really say yet as have only had one side reconstructed and am still due to have the other side done. I would chose the IGAP again in order to get symmetry. I have numbness down the back of my leg from where the flap was taken and I’m not sure it’ll come back as it’s almost a year now that I had it done.

Over all I’m very happy with the results though although the scar around my bottom is quite bad and seems to have gone a bit keloid so I’m going to speak to somebody about that.

Hope this helps
Ruby