SLNB Scar

Hi all. I’m about to have my 5th (out of 6 - woo hoo ?) chemo next Thursday. I’m on tax (of FEC-T - Sorry, can’t spell the whole word!) and my SLNB scar is so painful, I had it done in February and it still aches each month, but this month it even hurts to touch and wearing a bra is pretty uncomfy! Has anyone else had this or am I just weird?! Thanks all x

Hi Bettymoo,

I’ve brought this back to the top of the thread and hopefully someone will now see your post.  In the meantime do give our helpline team a ring and have a chat with them about your concerns.  They’re here to support you.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open at 10am today until 2pm

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Morning Bettymoo

Sorry that you’ve not had any other replies.  I haven’t had SLNB surgery, I had m/x with ANC so no underarm scar but in terms of pain.  I am 12 months on from surgery and still get pain sometimes.  Tho’ i haven’t had the same pain / discomfort throughout the 12 months. 

I think it is still very early 3/4 months from your surgery and some muscles,  and more significant to the pain,  nerves were cut during the surgery.   After the initial surgery pain i was ok but have found that i get stabbing pains, particularly as you say with pressure from Bra etc.  I purchased two new bras and they have taken a good while to get used too,  i wear them / wear clothes to go out /go to work etc and the second i walk through the door i put my PJ’s on / or nothing if i’m having a Tamoxifen hot moment.    

As it is a specific area that feels tender to touch maybe you could ask one of the BC nurses when you go for Chemo just to check it out.  As you are still having Chemo your body will also be struggling to fight any infection so this probably needs checking.   Lots of my reassurance / info around pain due to muscle and nerves repairing internally has come from the Physiotherpist while have treatment but of course she was doing scar / lymph / cording massage (about 40 mins per session) so had time to share that knowlege which was reassuring. 

Hope things start to ease of Bettymoo and wishing you luck with the rest of your treatment.

Take Care   Gilly x