1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STARTING CHEMO IN AUGUST 2011

Cackles

Re: STARTING CHEMO IN AUGUST 2011

Thank you sivam. Ventured into the wood and found a lovely welcome perhaps you could come out of the trees and camp there too! Not that it is good for we insomniacs.
I am so glad to hear of another husband who washes everything he looks at with mediwipes now. Still I'm not stopping him because before this chemotherapy horror he was totally unhousetrained. ( I bame his mother!!!?)
The carry out Mass sounds a superb idea you could set up a Chain.
Hope you get a good nights sleep
Bless you
Cacklesxxx

sivam

For those starting T found reasonable link http://www.foodforbreastcancer.com/what should breastcancer patientseat during taxol chemotherapy.9do we worry too much?
xxMAVIS

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
Once again enjoying this lovely sunshine. Am sitting in summerhouse at bottom of garden and doing my cross stitch, to hot to sit in garden
but feel in summerhouse with both doors wide open am getting fresh air and topping up vit D. Had a nice evening out at sister in laws, lovely roast dinner, also managed 3 glasses of wine and it tasted wonderful. First drink I've had that tastes nice for about 2 weeks. Have had what seems like cold sore come up pharmasist gave me ointment to put on it but said if it doesn't clear up in 5 days must see doctor. I must concentrate on getting the neuts up before Friday so that I can have 1st lot of T. Not actually sure there is anything we can do to keep neuts up, unless anyone on here knows different!!!
Off this evening for family meal at local chinese restaurant. Let son
chose where we eat as it was his 40th birthday yesterday. He went out with group of his friends for a party last night, assuming he is well recovered by now, dont like to ring and check, as they all think mum going into overdrive again and picking at the "worry tree"
Will post tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.
Hope you are all enjoying weather and not too many se's

sivam

Think my body clock has gone crazy and I have become somewhat nocturnal,had CBT for Insomnia 2 years ago now all to no avail,waiting till dawn before sleep comes and then when I sleep what tortured dreams!!!Feeling as if I am on the upward slope out of 1st chemo session, ready for next onslaught on the 12th,visit to onc on current progress on the 5th.
Cackles, you are right about midnight forum visitors,I have taken to "lurking" on some of them,the dark wood one seems so much fun,I would love to join in but might spoil the fun,so I will continue to sit on my tree stump wrapped in "my Harry invisible cloak"I hope they dont mind!God this chemo brain really does things to ones thought processes!!My OH half thinks if I go to morning mass I will catch every single virus,so he goes and brings back communion(a Holy Take Away)It is very comforting though and helps in this mad world.The priest brought my "take away" today,I look so well, such a fraud,think the poor man thought Gollam would be at the door!!
Love to you all,Misty ,wet here and 17deg,Mavis

Cackles

Kinsee just splosh bleach down the loo and grime and line in the basin and retire. Probably not good for the enviroment but gets rid of bugs so we chemo girls can relax. (smells clean anyway)
Hope your cold symptoms are just muscinous cells being zapped by chemo as they should be if it is attacking all fast dividing cells good and bad. Sound like your fingers are really sore. It must be horrible. This rotten chemo is such a step in the dark.... But it is gold standard nasty and effective. Hold in and we will give you a shoulder to rest on if it is too much. There is always somebody on the forums at 3am!

We all seem to have the ? Is this a cold...yuk and then it doesn't develope.
Glad your symptoms of a cold have gone Ducky but what are you playing at. We all know it isn't the booze because that tastes foul and good girls don' t have more than a couple of glasses as a treat during chemo!!!!!

Put you feet up and keep them there. Strap it up well because it can be really sore.

Of to get milk and play croquet on village green. We were going to the boat but it is too hot for long blue metal heat conductors! Plus the canal is low on water and my lovely other half thinks bugs will jump out of the water and infect me with nasties!!!!
Hope everybody's low on nasty symptoms today,
Hugs
Cackles

Guest user
Not applicable

Mornign All

Cold seems a little better today thanks Cackles.

Just sprainged my ankle in garden stepping off the patio and ankle has swollen up. That should keep me sat down for the rest of day to rest!!!

Lovely sunny day here again two lots of washing on the line should dry a treat. Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine.

xxx Ducky

kinsse

Hi

I keep getting a sore throat and thinking I'm getting a cold and then it disappears.

I have a problem with my thyroid and had a biopsy on it 10 days ago and wonder if this is what is giving me pain.

I'm now day 6 after tax 1 and the pains are easing, i took ibuprofen yesterday evening as it was so bad and I couldn't sit still and had a better nights sleep. I have a bit more energy as well, enough to think about cleaning the bathroom whether I do or not who knows. I still have really sore finger tips and keep on knocking them against things.

Enjoy the sun everyone, although to hot for me

xx

Cackles

Good morning everybody. I do do hope Sarah is sorted out soon. She has had a rotten blow and yet smiles through her postings.
How is that cold Ducky ? I do so hope it hasn't come to anything nasty. Hopefully your neuts will be on the up and can knock it for six.
I have had the feeling that one was comming on each cycle so far but in the morning all was well. Letsjust hope it is those fast growing healthy cells lining the throat and nose being zapped showing the chemo is doing its bit.
How are the T pioneers doing, hoping all the aches have subsided.
Lovely day must do the ironing!
Hugs
Cackles

slinky

HI Sarah,

Sorry to hear about you beeing in a hospital.... I hope you will get better very soon and come back to chat to us... thinking of you and missing your "w" van on here.xx

tigerpig

Hi sarah.Sorry you have been poorly,hope you have a speedy recovery.Loads of luv Heather x

sivam

Hi SArah,
so sorry you have been poorly must have been traumatic!!(((HUGS)))and a bit of "Heaven Storming" thrown in
Mavisxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah
So sorry to hear you are hospitalised, hope it wont be too much longer. Sending you lots of hugs. Val xx

rubythursday
Community Champion

Hi Sarah - thinking of you and really sorry to hear you have been banged up for 6 days 😞 have they let you out for the day because you are getting better?

Sending you a big virtual hug.

Ruby.xx

Cackles

Sarah you poor battered thing what a traumatic time for you. I am so glad they let you out for the day, there is nothing worse than a hospital at weekends.
I send you all best wishes for a speedy sort out of your problems. Lots of hugs to you and yours.

Guest user
Not applicable

Sarah

I feel so sorry for you. Don't know what to say just hope they sort things out and get you home soon.

xxx ((( Hugs))) Ducky

jiggyjoo

Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry. Poor you - I do hope you feel better soon and
can leave hospital.

We are all thinking of you and send virtual hugs!

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Well not been on here for a while as have been in hospital for the last 6 days (am only out on day release now, gotta go back in tonight!!) I called my unit on saturday with mild chest pain, thinking it was probably a bit of heartburn and felt a bit breathless, a few tests later (and a lot of bruises!!) I have clots on both lungs and may have heart damage!!! turns out i also had an infection but because my temp never changes i didn't know??
So i don't know when i will be back on here but just wanted to let you know i am thinking of you all xxxx

Sarah xx

kinsse

Ducky

Whereabouts are you in Somerset as my parents live near Taunton and we manage plenty of walks on Exmoor?

Well day 5 after TAX 1 and feel more human this morning, still ache like crazy and can't sleep because of aches, but heat doesn't help either.

Very down last couple of days, think due to coming off the steroids.

Actually feel I can manage to do bits today instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself

Have a lovely day in the sun everyone

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning BWF

Lovely glorious day in Zummerzet for 1st October. Have had very itchy eyes since about Tuesday and yester woke with a scratchy throat thought it was hayfever. This morning however I am think it may be a bit of a head cold. How I got it I don't know as havn't been anywhere since last FEC. Will keep my eye on temperature and hope it goes in time for next Thursday.

Fantastic to here all the fundraising stories like you say Cackles we will all look at things differently from now on. I was sure someone else had already had their first TAX and reported back (memory like a sieve) if your out there you know who you are!!!!!!!!!!

OH going ot Ikea today for some chests of draws for sons bedroom. Havn't quite made up my mind wheter to go or not.

xxx Ducky

Cackles

Ducky I told you I was a computer fool. First it didn't submit- poor broadband connection in the depth of darkest Buckinghamshire. When I read the posting I had deleted somehow that you are our Taxane pathfinder. We will all be there with you in spirit on Thursday. Ugh!!
Hugs
Cackles

Cackles

What super photos of a lovely community raising funds for charity Ducky. Your Clarks Village looks like Bicester Village which is near me. I am so impressed with your technical ability on the computer I feel humbled, I just about manage to post here and I got that wrong for many weeks!!! We have been Members of Round Table and Rotary so I know what it is like rattling a bucket and cycling for miles . I did Aylesbury to Ypres for the paralympic village at Stoke Mandeville 30 ish years ago. Fun but I doubt I could go more than a mile now.
Mavis Christmas mean Rotary Carol Float and my husband wanting fed at 10 pm when he gets back....but he loves it. I too will look at it differently this year. Poor Ducky is our pathfinder.
Poodlepatch thanks for the info re nail varnish. I wonder why black socks wouldn't have the same effect!! It is all very odd. I will think of you next Friday when I too face the unknown big 'T' or rather D.
Tigerpig have the noises gone? All these strange side effects this chemotherapy produces are not really recognised by the medics because we the patients just take it for granted that odd things happen. Next time the girls at Breast Cancer Care ask for patient involvement we should help. The publications are updated regularly and they post when they want imput.
I hope you got a good dose of Vitamen D Pavlina.
Enjoy the weekend girls
Hugs
Cackles

slinky

ducky now i can put face to your yellow duck! yeah!

poodle have a fab celebrationts....I will take your advice. I also have a rather large straw hat , which I have bought purily for my bedroom wall deco, but now it comes to a good use.... straw hat, sunglasess and maxi dress... i will look like a film star! lol (I wish)

Have a lovely sunny weekend BWF'S. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
What a glorious day it has been again, hope you are all making the most of it.
Pavlina - was told to make sure well covered with high factor sun cream when out, but not to actually lay out in the sun.
Ducky - what a fantastic amount of money your OH and his friend raised, you must be so proud. What are you knitting?
tigerpig-regarding weird nose I also had that after FEC-3,went off after a few days.
Cackles - was told darker the nail polish the better, but this once again seems to vary.
Think the idea of a meet up and overnight stay at hotel sounds really good. Would it be an idea to do it, say next spring, when majority of us will hopefully be finished treatment. I'm in Suffolk but will obviously travel.
Am looking forward to a nice weekend. Saturday am going to sister in laws for a meal. Sunday have booked a family meal out for sons 40th birthday.

First Tax next Friday,day after ducky. I think there are a few of us starting this next week.
Mavis - well done to your DS with all his work for race for life. As you say so many volunteers and fundraisers out there we should all raise our glasses to.
Enjoy your weekend everyone and not too many se's
Val xx

Guest user
Not applicable

sivam

Hi BWF,For the past 11 years my DS(our big surprise,born when I was 44,with 3 grown children) has been volunteering for Race for Life,he is the back marker so last home with stragglers!all thro the summmer he is up at dawn to prepare the courses all over the North,over the last 2 years in tne autumn, he also takes part in the 26mile overnight Shine race held in Manchester, Glasgow and this weekend the first London Shine.Over these years I have felt shamefully resentful at the time he gives to Canceresearch.uk, waking the household on his way out at dawn,he absolutely loves the camaderaderie as well as the buzz of walking behind thousands of ladies in pink tee shirts!!I am so ashamed in the light of what is happening in our lives,and should raise a glass to all the hundreds of volunteers and fundraisers for research into this horrible disease.God speed to all the thousands of people walking the 26 miles in London through Saturday night,and may my DS and his comrades be safe!!

slinky

Evening,
Ducky just had a look on your fundraising cycling photos… … now which bunny are you?....
It looked like you had a really good fun doing this,
We will have loads to chat about , when we are all nicely tucked up in a hotel somewhere and having a glass or two of wino in a room filled with laughter… …this idea is a great booster for me and it will help me to get through this rough time,, it is like “follow the yellow brick road”…. Oh I am getting all musical here..lol
Next week the musical “wedding singer” is in our theatre, I was part of the show , but this awful illness put stop to it , but my son has a part and I am excited to go and watch next week.
And because October is a pink month, the theatre is raising money for breast cancer for the whole week , so I have been ordering pink pin badges, getting prizes , balloons and we are going to bake cup cakes and sell them to the cast during intermission and etc.. Hopefully we will raise a lot of money as the theatre takes 400 people a night… I was very touched when they decided to do this I must say there are some nice people out there….
Not like my silly neighbour who said to me today that she is surprised that” I look so well?!” How do I suppose to look?.. silly mare  It looks like I am in a grumpy mood, it is the heat and menopause,

Nighty night pavlina xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Horray Cackles

Posts seem to be getting through now!!!!!!

What a wonderful vocation to be a McMillan nurse don't think I could do it. My husband and a friend cycled from John 0 Groats to Lands End last May to raise money for McMillan and Alzhemiers. They raised £11,500 and we were very proud of them. Anyone who would like to have a laugh at our journey take a look at http://www.nickandalsjogle.co.uk
On the Clarks fundraising day Im the lady with the bunny ears on as it was at Easter!!!!!!!

Not sure what their next venture will be as it does take rather a lot of organising.

xxx Ducky

Cackles

Ruby you are so right. Scrumping is much better than free help yourself. I was a Macmillan Nurse for many years and hope they do well with the coffee morning. However I am fed up with their TV adverts- so I am giving my cash to BCC in future. Since my diagnosis I have become a Grumpy Old Woman and see things differently.

Ducky that lemon drizzel cake has dominated my mind so much I just had to make one. I shoved in a few apples and sultanas because really I should have been making apple cake......but it is super. All I need to do now is satisfy my lust for BBQd steak. But I don't want the mess and possibility of it being ruined(a 50/50 chance!!!)

Tigerpig glad you are feelin a bit brighter. It is the Fec plus lack of hair in the nose. I feel mine is running a lot and sometimes it is yuk. Strange how the same drugs affect us in so many differing ways.

If the sun stays out we might go to our narrow boat for the first time this year. Not that there is any water in the canals.
Wishing all a problem free weekend
Hugs
Cackles

tigerpig

Hi ladies,Iam at last havin a good day and have got myself out of bed.I too have a weird sensation in my nose,not running,almost like when they give you chemo.Must be something to do with 3rd FEC.
Almost lost all my hair now and eyebrows going too.
Ruby-would be lovely for us all to meet up.Iam in a village called Broseley,Shropshire.Hotel somewhere sounds gr8
Ducky-Cake sounded lovely.
Love to you all Heather x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

Pavlina I was just thinking of you and wondering if you were o.k and you posted sorry to hear you have had a cold.

Ruby how romantic candlelight, wine and macho caveman cooking meat!!!!

I think it would be lovely to meet up somewhere in the middle we could maybe find a hotel for those of us who would like to meet up as you know I am down the bottom of the country in Somerset but happy to travel.

Looks like you and Pavlina are not to far from each other on the map.

Will catch up later.
Back to my knitting now.
xxx Ducky

rubythursday
Community Champion

Oh and Cackles - put out a sign saying apples for sale £2 a bag or something, they will get nicked in no time 🙂

rubythursday
Community Champion

Hi ladies,

Am actually enjoying being bald today - its so hot its ridiculous but at least the sun is shining!

Starting to taste stuff again today and BBQ was a success although I was knackered after doing all the work - we ate in our summerhouse by candlelight, it was lovely!

It would be lovely if we could all get together sometime in the future - where do we all live I wonder? I am in Boston, Lincolnshire

Went to a McMillan coffee morning this morning - hopefully my friend raised extra cash as she had a real live cancer person with headscarf in the room!! hehehe

Ruby.xx

slinky

Morning everyone
not been here for a while. loads to catch up with... lemon drizzle cake, bbq, sea side, anyone would think we are ladies of leisure ? 😉
I have felt a bit rubbish this time round,, but starting to fel better…
Had a terrible sore nose after having a little cold, but my GP gave me fabulous antibiotic cream called Bactoram and it cleared it within 2 days!
Ducky, I would love to pop round for virtual visit and afternoon tea with lemon drizzle cake, but maybe in the future we could all get together in person? That should be interesting, since we all r like another “family” . as for the shaving,, it is recommend to trim because the soreness of the follicles when your hair first comes out.. and u could cut you head and with minimum platelets it might not be a pleasant experience.. 
Will catch up with u all later.. by the way, anyone been advised on sun protection during this hot weather? I don’t know about you, but being hairless is not a bad thing in this heat! ..xxx
pavlina

Guest user
Not applicable

Cackles you read my mind Somerset Apple cake I think lob a few my way. The Lemon drizle has about 3 slices left. When hubby came home he had two slices as he had eaten out yesterday and didn't require cooked dinner and son of 20 had a couple. They must have both taken it in their lunch box so it didnt last long. More lemons needed to make another!!!!

Lovely sunny day in Somerset going out for a meal tonight with friends just to the local pub cheap and cheerful havn't really been anywhere since 3rd FEC as have been too tired.

Did have a chat with chemo nurse last time about the nails as mentioned my nails look horrid with dark nail varnish on them and she said why not put a mat pink varnish on guess that would work as long as its not clear it wont let the light through so may go with that. I don't think everyones nails definately fall off but they can just get in bad condition.

Hugs to everyone
Love Ducky

Cackles

How did the BBQ go Ruby. I have the same problem. My darling other half thinks a BBQ is easy. I think a M&S meal for two with wine at £10 the better option!!!!
How are all those T side effects going girls? I am dreading my first which is a week today. It is like the fear before the first FEC ugh. Having said that apart from a traumatic Hickman insertion and the ability to sleep for Britain I have been very lucky. There are some positive postings out there so I keep looking at those, and thinking of all my patients who had it and worked, looked after themselves or young children. Being on the other side is such an eye opener. The positive thing is I do know many many ladies who had very aggressive disease etc who are many many years post chemo and remain fine due to having Taxanes and other chemotherapies.

The garden is covered in apples which need using up. I have placed buckets out for people to help take and yet they remain. I am sure if I charged for them they would be long gone. I bought a fruit press for my husbands birthdays he has been kept busy Cider making, but even that is like a man and a BBQ......mess+++ why are some men well house trained and others hopeless?

Have a side effect free weekend all. Blow apple cake that lemon drizzel is still in my mind!
Hugs cackles

kinsse

Hi Cackles

I was told by the chemo nurse dark nail varnish to stop the light getting at your nail beds which causes the nails to drop off!

Cackles

Afternnoon ladies. I have had the old problem with posts not getting through again. Don't know what I do wrong, but it is annoying so the moderators are going to look onto it for me.

What are you all going to fo re fingers and "T""? Some say dark nail varnish and others just cream. Why is dark better than thick pinks if it is a good coating that would disguise the yellow? How long do you cool the fingers and toes- do you continue for a few hours after the infusion? Logically that would make sense.
I had the injections for the neuts during FEC and did not really find it gave me any problems other than one day of really bad low back pain and aching feet. I wonder why it should be worse after Taxanes. Perhaps I am just very lucky because apart from sleeping for Britain FEC as been very much better than I thought it was going to be.

The drizzel cake sounds lovely . I have just made the Allbran loaf. One mug allbran, one mug sultanas or prunes, figs etc, soak for half an hour in one mug milk, add one mug or less of sugar one mug flour and mixed spice to taste then bake until skewer comes out dry. Good for constipation with a couple of sennacot taken at night!!!!
I hope everybody has a good side effect free weekend. It is too hot for the wearing of hairy Haggis. Etc. I will never complain about a bad hair day again! I look like a bald rugby ball in shape but the darling husband must have bad eyesight and still comes home each day!
Hoping this gets through
Hugs and best wishes
Cackles

Guest user
Not applicable

Third day post 3rd FEC. TIRED, TIRED, TIRED

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Lovely day here in Felixstowe. Just been for a walk, must admit, once again it was a shorter walk than I would normally do. Was out of breath when I got back and had to sit down. Is it the treatment or is it age creeping up. Wont think too much about it. In my head I'm still about 30 (one can dream).
Noticed this morning eyelashes, although still there, they seem only about half the length, has anyone else noticed this? Also keep wiping nose.
Well as its such a lovely day, will sit in garden and make the most of it.
Ducky this afternoon will pop round for coffee and large piece of lemon drizzle cake, not sure if I'll make the walk, might have to hop a bus!!!
Val xx

Guest user
Not applicable

All welcome its just cooling down so be ready in about 30 minutes. Ill pop the kettle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wondered why they advised to clipper hair and not shave it. Oh well it's too late now and it does seem to still be growing.

xx Ducky

jiggyjoo

Lemon drizzle cake - yum!

Can I come?!

kinsse

hi Ducky

Lemon drizzle cake sounds much nicer than my bowl of grapefruit i'm looking at the the moment, I'll join you.

I still have hairs sticking up on my head, I was told not to shave my hair but clipper it to a cm length and I'm sure they've got longer.

Had first TAX and still have my top eyelashes and very thin eyebrows

xx Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Moring all

Have a lovely BBQ Ruby. Hair on my head just short fuzz don't think it ever all came out I did shave it off but some still growing back but TAX may finish it off eyebrows look thinner but they were thin to start with. Still got a runny nose and now eyes as well havn't got a gold but feels a bit like hayfever. Keep taking temp but o.k.

Just made a lemon drizzle cake so anyone want to pop round for virtual elevenses!!!!!!!

xxx Ducky

rubythursday
Community Champion

Morning ladies,

Still knackered but at least the sun is shining and I can be knackered outdoors. Hubby this morning made me laugh 'I'll do a bbq tonight when I get home' he says...'could you just make the burgers, do a caesar salad, do a tomato, olive and feta salad and knock up some potato salad, ooh and some marinades for the meat' hmmm am wondering who is doing this bbq - think its the caveman - man do fire/meat thing!!!!

I still have most eyelashes and most eyebrow hair 6 days after fec 3 - the hair on my head is also growing back, very fine and very white and I still have hairy legs and arms...ggrrrr! To be fair though I WAS a bit of a yeti to start off with....

Oh well better get up - need to go and do my filgrastim injection for the day.

Hope everyone is ok and good luck to all of you having treatment soon.

Ruby.xx

jiggyjoo

Morning everyone - hope you're all coping with SE's reasonably well.
Lovely weather - does make you feel a bit better!

Good luck to all those approaching their next Chemo session.

Just wondered if eyebrows and eyelashes fall out with hair or later on?

Still not feeling brilliant day 8 after FEC3 Very constipated,tired,
no energy etc!

Hope you all manage to enjoy this lovely weather.

xxx

sivam

Hi Val,my T+C Dose went well,day 3 to 5 felt really yuk but not sick just nauseous,all compounded by apalling,painfull constipation,so I am determined to be prepared, for next chemo dose!!Now quite fizzing with energy and the sensitive nostrils, can now only smell the coffee,am not sleeping very well either but can cope with that.I certainly hope next treatment on 12th Oct,goes well
Good Luck Ducky and Val on 6 and 7th Oct

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Thanks for the positive comments on the TAX Kinsee I have my first TAX on 6th Oct day before Val if bloods are o.k.

xxx Ducky.

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks for that kinsee. Got my first Tax 7th Oct so nice to hear you are not being sick and you are ok eating. Hope all your se's are little
Val xxones.

kinsse

Hi

I'm now day 2 after my first tax, yesterday I felt ok it was great to not keep being sick. The nausea is a lot less with tax than it was with FEC, which is good. but today I've started aching and have no energy, guess as the steroids are no longer giving me any energy boost.

Just spent the day sitting around reading and listening to my i-pod, it was enough of an effort to put the washing out in the garden. I am also not so limited as to what i eat as I can tolerate meat and smells more, just have a very dry yucky mouth.

Only had problems sleeping the first night as well (got 2 hours), last 2 nights been okay, slept from 11 till 6am which is good.

Hope that makes those that are coming up to first TAX feel a bit better.

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

P.S. they also weighed me. I have put on nearly 7 lbs since starting this treatment, but I was told I am now a nice healthy weight.