SWOLLEN ANKLES ANYONE - ADVICE PLEASE

Following left mastectomy and full lymph node removal in Dec 08, I completed 4 x FEC and 2 x TAX. I have just finished my rads last Monday and due to start Herceptin at the end of July I’m also on Tamoxifen.
My problem is my swollen feet and ankles - they’re driving me mad !!!
They started swelling when I was on the TAX and the onc said it was a side effect and would take time to go away.
I had my last tax in mid May so was expecting to see a difference by now - or am I being impatient ?
They seem to go down when I raise my legs and at night, but as soon as I stand up or walk about they swell up again (the hot weather doesn’t help)
I realise it seems really trivial in the scheme of things but it’s really debilitating and affecting my attempts to try and get back to normality.
Any advice or similar experiences would be much appreciated - water tabets maybe ???
Many thanks
Sue x

Hi Sue

From my own experience, and reading others’ posts, this seems to be very common with Taxotere :-(. And it seems to take a while to go, too.

I was advised to elevate my feet and legs whenever possible (even in bed), drink lots of fluids (helps the kidneys work better).

My GP did prescribe me a slow release water tablet (diuretic), but oncologist said to use it sparingly, as it apparently they can upset the chemical balance of the body (mind you, I was still on Taxotere at the time, so had to be extra careful), so you might be able to take those - could be worth asking. I only used them when I needed to get into a pair of normal shoes (otherwise I wore Crocs) and venture out looking slightly respectable.

I think I’ve heard, or read on here, that Tamoxifen can also also be associated with some degree of fluid retention. (Yep! Just found this link…)

cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=18399

So the Tamoxifen could well be hindering your body in ridding itself of the fluid build-up caused by Taxotere - what a bummer. Perhaps you could talk things over with someone (onc, GP, bcn) and see what else could be done to help.

And you might find things improve when the weather cools down a bit.

X

S

HI Bahons
Thanku so much for your response, sound advice and also the link.
I’ll contact my bcn and I’m due to see onc towards the end of the month so I’ll talk to him too.
In the meantime I’m going to make an app’t to see my GP and see what he comes up with.
As I said, in the scheme of things, it seems so trivial but I find these minor probs tend to build up and make you more fed-up than you already are! I think we have enough to cope with :frowning:
Oh no didn’t realise Tamoxifen could be accociated too - I’m going to have a look at the link you sent.

Yes you’re right the swelling does seem to ease a little in cooler weather and I think movement for shorter periods works better - as I found out yesterday! Planted a load of plants in pots and didn’t realise I’d been stood up for an hour or two. I felt like I had elephantitus last night !!!

Many thanks again and take care
Sue x